The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Anyone here written musicals of their own? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Music
Main Role: Musician
Post Anyone here written musicals of their own?
As the title suggests, I'd love to see who here has created some of their own. :mrgreen:

Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: Anyone here written musicals of their own?
I'm writing one now. :)

Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Peritombry wrote:
I'm writing one now. :)

Same here.

Thu May 23, 2013 12:42 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Main Role: Performer
I'm writing my own as well. It's called Princesses Don't Swordfight; and the closest thing I can give to a song from it is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIWVRoxLhME (lyrics are in the description)

Some advice. Musicals are a collaborative effort. If you do the book, music and lyrics all by yourself then not only will take ages but something will be compromised. Rarely do you get a Stephen Sondheim or a Cole Porter. Most people are weaker in one or two of those areas, especially with the workload of doing everything yourself. For example, I'm weaker in the lyrics department, and after looking back at what lyrics I've written; I decided they all need rewriting. Rewriting them until they're good is a slow process and even the song I did rewrite to decency still has a couple of iffy lines. So I decided I need to recruit a lyricist.

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree. I'm actually stronger on the lyrics side of things myself. :)

Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Music
Main Role: Musician
Thanks for responding so quickly, everyone. Much appreciated!

BenTheBaritone wrote:
I'm writing my own as well. It's called Princesses Don't Swordfight; and the closest thing I can give to a song from it is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIWVRoxLhME (lyrics are in the description)

Some advice. Musicals are a collaborative effort. If you do the book, music and lyrics all by yourself then not only will take ages but something will be compromised. Rarely do you get a Stephen Sondheim or a Cole Porter. Most people are weaker in one or two of those areas, especially with the workload of doing everything yourself. For example, I'm weaker in the lyrics department, and after looking back at what lyrics I've written; I decided they all need rewriting. Rewriting them until they're good is a slow process and even the song I did rewrite to decency still has a couple of iffy lines. So I decided I need to recruit a lyricist.

I see. How would you recommend about finding the correct collaborator? The ideas I've written down, I love, but it's the lack of any experience in musical theater besides playing guitar in the pit that I'm completely blind with. I initially joined this forum in the hope I could potentially seek someone out to help me write the lyrics as well as a guideline on writing a musical as I'm usually a guitarist first and foremost.

Also, I'll check your one out too. I'll drop you a message more on it. :)

Thu May 23, 2013 4:21 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Main Role: Performer
Well I don't really know the best way to get collaborators, otherwise I'd have them by now. Bear in mind I'm only an 18 year old student, not a professional.

But try putting up some adverts, or asking people you know who are into musical theatre and/or are creative

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Fri May 24, 2013 9:48 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
I would love to write lyrics and librettos for musicals, and I've tried several times to write some, but the thing is without a composer collaborator, I can't do much, since I would like to write something where music and words are deeply linked and not a starnge written novel. But try find a composer who wants to write musicals in french (nothing against english, but there's enough french songwriters who prefers to write bad english lyrics rather than good french lyrics) when you're a 18 years old girl !
Maybe there are some other forums on the internet where you can find some collaborators...

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Fri May 24, 2013 12:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You could always try posting ads on sites based in Quebec or Louisiana or other French speaking areas. :) I'm not sure how similar the dialects are though. I can barely even speak a few sentences of French.

Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
Thanks for the advice ! I will probably try when I have a little time (I have exams in two weeks).
I didn't even know there were french speaking people in LOuisiana ! :) as for Quebec, there are some different words and different accents but we understand each other perfectly.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Sun May 26, 2013 5:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You're welcome. :) I don't know how much like regular French the language used in Louisiana is, but they do have a French Quarter in New Orleans and there are a lot of French names etc. there, so it could be worth looking into.

Sun May 26, 2013 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I've co-written a musical comedy called "Sympathy Jones" (I wrote the book, my collaborator did music/lyrics). The truth is that it's a lot of hard work - not just the writing, but then the development phase where you're re-writing and trying to get it produced.

Fortunately, if you're looking for some guidance, there are a lot of resources out there (I'm linking to just a few places/resources that might get you started below). Finding the right collaborator can be tough, but coming to this forum is a good start (I found my first collaborator through similar means). There are also workshops, classes, seminars, and other networking opportunities that you should try out, as those can help you find potential collaborators (see below).

Good luck!

http://www.musicalwriters.com/index.htm
http://www.anmt.org/homepage.asp?quadrant=Writers
http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Theatre-W ... 0325007861

Tue May 28, 2013 11:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next