The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Bye Bye Birdie or Legally Blonde? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Bye Bye Birdie or Legally Blonde?
Hello,

I am on the BOD of my local community theater and we are deciding between Bye Bye Birdie or Legally Blonde for our summer musical. Our president is older (in her 70's) and pretty much against anything that has come our this century, saying that it is not going to sell. Myself and another younger 20 year old on the board think that legally blonde is a huge movie and people love the musical. We also have a great group of teen/college girls who would love to do legally blonde. So, I want to know what you think? Do you think legally blonde or bye bye birdie would sell better in a suburban community theater?

P.S. We did a survey of our members and legally blonde is ahead 70%-30%

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Catch Me If You Can
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Bye Bye Birdie or Legally Blonde?
bound4bway wrote:
Hello,

I am on the BOD of my local community theater and we are deciding between Bye Bye Birdie or Legally Blonde for our summer musical. Our president is older (in her 70's) and pretty much against anything that has come our this century, saying that it is not going to sell. Myself and another younger 20 year old on the board think that legally blonde is a huge movie and people love the musical. We also have a great group of teen/college girls who would love to do legally blonde. So, I want to know what you think? Do you think legally blonde or bye bye birdie would sell better in a suburban community theater?

P.S. We did a survey of our members and legally blonde is ahead 70%-30%

We did Legally Blonde here in September, arguably the funnest show I've ever done, so much opportunity for everyone, and just a spirit lifter!

Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:51 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Legally Blonde is an awful show..weak book,mediocre score...Bye Bye birdie is fun,well written and a classic..plus the 60s are big again with "Mad Men' such a hit on television.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:33 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Salome wrote:
Legally Blonde is an awful show..weak book,mediocre score...Bye Bye birdie is fun,well written and a classic..plus the 60s are big again with "Mad Men' such a hit on television.

I agree with your first point.... (and this is coming off as a former middle school Mr. Mac), but the book, if the ever try to properly revive it, could use HUGE re-writing. The movie version with Dike (from the 70's I think) had a few scenes that were MUCH better then their equivalents in the show, and honestly, I always thought Albert needed to be on stage less, and Conrad/the family more. It's one of the weaker points of the show, IMO. But it's MILES better then Blonde...

Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Neither, i'd go for Hairspray :)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:36 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm debating Blonde right now. I'm the technical director for a high school theatre program and the director wants Blonde. I watched the MTV version on Youtube and struggled to get through it. I thought it was a terrible show. Our problem is we don't have many guys. Maybe 3-4 males capable of a principle role.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:09 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Yeah it is the worst show, I always hated it.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]