The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Low cost musicals to direct for a high school senior? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Low cost musicals to direct for a high school senior?
So I'm a senior in high school doing a senior directed play. I want it to be a musical with all my heart but our budget is extremely low. But I also want it to be good quality and most low cost musicals are super cheesy. The senior last year did You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown so along those lines maybe…Also please don’t say something like “It only depends on your imagination”. That’s alright and everything but we seriously can’t afford much.

Just for the record, I would like to direct a show with more than 10 people in it and possibly a chorus. This is my first time directing a "show" but I've directed skits including my entire class of 300 students for the past few years and won awards in my school for doing it so I can handle a crowd.

Example of our budget: I really wanted to do Once On This Island but it’s royalties were $725 and that’s way too much.

I would really appreciate it if you gave me the names of the shows. Also, you don’t have to do this but if at all possible, please tell me the royalty costs too.

Thank you so much! <3

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:32 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Low cost musicals to direct for a high school senior?
Bye Bye Birdie. seriously good show, and AFAIK cheap.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: Low cost musicals to direct for a high school senior?
The first show that came to mind for me was Godspell, but I guess that depends on whether your group would be comfortable with a religious show. I can't see any specifics on licensing costs anywhere, but there are some links and information here: http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=87692

Fri May 24, 2013 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]