The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Etiquette Question .. Theater Bio 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Etiquette Question .. Theater Bio
I posted this in the auditions forum with no response from the performers, so thought I would pose it here to the movers and shakers ;) I have written a lot of theater bios before... but this is my first time in this situation ... Would a line like this in the bio be considered ok? (All the details, role, etc have been changed of course)

..... She takes to the stage whenever she can and in January, will appear as Liesl in The Sound of Music at the ChiChi Theatre Company. Her past roles include blah blah blah.

The question is: Is it considered bad form to mention a future production / role at another theatre - slipped in politely among her theater credits? The second show will already be in rehearsals for a month before the current show starts, so there will be no question of her participation, etc and the second show opens a month after the first one closes ...

fyi .. This is for a 12 year old girl appearing in an adult production .. and we generally make part of the bio funny/tongue-in-cheek to show she does not take herself all that seriously. Also, there are two other young actors, but she is the youngest in this production.

I would really appreciate any input! I do not want to rub anyone the wrong way, but at the same time, I expect that her performance in the first show could draw some audience to the second show, kwim?

Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:04 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Etiquette Question .. Theater Bio
I've had stuff like that in my bio before, I don't think its bad.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:18 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks Mezzo!

I saw a professional show last night wjere one of the bios did have a line describing 2 future roles (one being at the same theatre). I did prefer the position of it .. toward the bottom of the bio - which is not what I had done.

I would love more input if anyone has a preference one way or the other!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:13 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

This is the norm in my region.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:19 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Music Director
I think it's certainly acceptable, but good to put near the end. The bio is about you right now, as it were. It's okay to mention future plans but it really should focus on you -now.-

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:17 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Kristin Chenoweth
Main Role: Performer
I have used past roles and even theaters in my Bio's before. I think it is just fine.

Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:12 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Update .. we ended up submitting the bio with the future role (already in rehearsal) toward the bottom .. the directors were actually pleased with it --so, I am glad we decided to go for it

:) Daffy

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]