The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Has anybody heard of this? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Has anybody heard of this?
Ever since my dad showed it to me, I have been a fan of the Bob Johnson/Peter Knight concept album The King of Elfland's Daughter based on the Lord Dunsany story of the same name.
It occurred to me one day that it might make a good musical since the music is already there and if I adapt and expand the narration, adding some script based on the book, it could work full-length.

For those who don't know, here is the summary.
The lord of Erl (a sort of quasi-medieval Game-of-Thrones-ish kingdom) is told by his people that they wish to be ruled by a magic lord. He sends his son Alveric to Elfland to fetch the king of Elfland's daughter, Princess Lirazel, to be his bride and bear a magic son to rule. Once he has won her love and hand, they return to Erl and bear the hoped-for magic child but she never really fits in among the humans of Erl. She returns to her father's home in Elfland and a lovesick Alveric abandons Erl on a quest to find her. However, Lirazel soon becomes lonesome for her mortal family and the Elf king, sensing her unhappiness, casts a spell to bring magic to Erl and join it to Elfland as one kingdom.

Has anybody heard of this album, and if you have, do you think it should be adapted to the stage?

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde, The Book of Mormon
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Has anybody heard of this?
I haven't heard of this, but the story sounds like it would make a good musical. I think it could be adapted for the stage.

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]