The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Costuming Beauty and the Beast 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Costuming Beauty and the Beast
I'm costuming BATB at a high school. The director told me that we would be renting most of the "object costumes". I was relieved to not have to make Mrs. Potts, the wardrobe, the beast etc. Now, the budget isn't looking like it will stretch as far as hoped for. Essentially, I'm finding out that this is going to be a whole lot more work than I expected. Usually the asst. director and I do all of the costumes for the shows but she's in a musical at our University and it's looking like I'm pretty much on my own...costuming 35 kids. Okay...enough whining. Time to be proactive.

Does anyone know of an inexpensive place to rent BATB costumes or have tips on how to undertake this project without losing my sanity?

The Wizard of Oz-Scarecrow
The Sound of Music-Nun
Once Upon A Mattress-Winnifred

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Costuming Beauty and the Beast
All of the costume companies charge inflated rates on that show because there are so many costumes and speciality costumes involved. I have never been able to find them from a rental company cheap. I would recommend building the costumes yourself. It can be done cheaply, using cardboard or foam and fabric.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:58 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Looked in the Community Theater Green Room website forum and found a link to this article. Might have some tips to start you off.
http://www.squidoo.com/costumes-for-bea ... n-a-budget
Things like Mrs. Potts and Lumiere and Mme. you might have to buy or rent, but other stuff can be found, adapted, bought, made.
You can look on MTI for theaters that are putting on the production now or soon and contact them to see if they would be willing to rent or sell their costumes to you when they're done.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I got really lucky and after a bit of research and found a high school nearby that rented out some of the costumes for rather cheap. I still have a lot to make because not all of the costumes will fit our actors, but it did make a dent in the work load! The best thing about being able to rent locally is that now the other school plans to see our show and we plan to see their show as well.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]