The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
MTI's Willy Wonka? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post MTI's Willy Wonka?
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but I am wondering if anyone knows anything about MTI's WIlly Wonka?

Is it a show worth performing?
What are the vocal ranges of the main characters?

I am in a time crunch and I live in Mexico so getting a perusal copy will take too long and cost $70 so if you have any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, worth noting, I want to do the full show, not the Jr or TYA versions.

Thanks!!

Sat May 14, 2011 9:47 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: MTI's Willy Wonka?
We did the TYA version a few years ago, but looking at the page for the full show on MTI's website, they appear to be very similar. The only difference I can really find is that the TYA version says one act while the full says two.

I would say the show is worth performing. I was in the chorus (not the Oompa Loompa one, the neighborhood kids one) and a creepy fish for "There's No Knowing" and had a lot of fun in it. It was cool to get to redo a show that was both a favorite movie of mine as a child and my first big stage experience (I was Mrs. Gloop in a non-MTI version quite some time back), and the audience really loved it.

I don't know exact vocal ranges of the characters, but I don't remember any of them being very hard to sing. I do remember going up to a high E or F singing Soprano 1 in the chorus, and that there were only two or three of us (junior high/high school age kids) who could sing the first soprano parts. Mrs. Gloop seemed to go higher than that, but I could be mistaken, it's been awhile.

If there are specific questions about the show you have (or you would like to see a recording of a specific song to judge the ranges yourself), feel free to PM me and I'll pull out my DVD and try to answer them for you!

Sat May 14, 2011 10:05 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: MTI's Willy Wonka?
Thank you very much.

Any other thoughts, please share!!

Sat May 14, 2011 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]