The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Paying for rights 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Paying for rights
Is it legal to put on a show without paying for rights if you don't charge your audience to come see the show? E.g. if you just ask the audience to make an optional donation to a charity?

And if that is legal, can the show be something for which the rights aren't available to amateur companies (e.g. Wicked or The Lion King)?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Amanda Palmer, Doctor Who, Jane Austen
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Paying for rights
Quick answer;

No

and No

You're still gaining a benefit from someone else's intellectual property, and they are the only ones who can give permission for their work to be used for any sort of benefit - charitable or otherwise.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Similar reason to why you're not supposed to film a performance and put it on Youtube.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:13 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Whatever musical you plan to do you gonna need performance rights for it. Why? Not so much the money but that the right owners want to be sure that youre version off the musical follows the minimal standards they want to set. See it this way: If you had created a successfull brand new musical off youre own wouldnt you like to have some controll over who put it on stage and what they do with it? I ceartanly would. [-o<

But the good thing in this is that generally its easier and cheaper to get rights if youre amatour or a school doing a musical. But still the musical has to be aviable for others to do.

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:03 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
In Norway we are allowed to use copyrighted material, such as plays and musicals, for educational purposes without charge. We still have to ask for the rights, but we don't have to pay for them. I don't know why it is so, or how it is justified, but I think it is neat.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Sounds logical, That way you still have some controlls but can do musicals and plays for schools.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:10 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Profetikus wrote:
Whatever musical you plan to do you gonna need performance rights for it. Why? Not so much the money but that the right owners want to be sure that youre version off the musical follows the minimal standards they want to set. See it this way: If you had created a successfull brand new musical off youre own wouldnt you like to have some controll over who put it on stage and what they do with it? I ceartanly would. [-o<

But the good thing in this is that generally its easier and cheaper to get rights if youre amatour or a school doing a musical. But still the musical has to be aviable for others to do.

I am agree with you dear You have much information about the rule and regulation.
We must fallow these because these rule should immplement.

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]