The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Good, Small Cast Shows for High Schoolers 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The Current Bway Season; A Little Night Music
Main Role: Performer
Post Good, Small Cast Shows for High Schoolers
I'm involved in an after school theatre group, and I'm helping the director find an appropriate musical for us to do next fall. The group is fairly new, and although we've done a few plays (Sparks in the Park, Peter Pan, and Secret Garden now, though I'm not in that one) and a musical revue, this would be our first time putting on a full length musical.

Ideally, we are looking at a small, ensemble driven show, with a cast of around 10 (maybe flexible enough that we could add in a few more people in ensemble roles if we get enough people). It should be clever and a lot of fun to be in and appropriate for high school students-not just appropriate in terms of theme, but also vocally appropriate. Also, as always, there will probably be more girls involved than guys, so while we have a few talented guys, a more girl heavy cast would probably be good (which rules something like You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown out). I also think a shorter musical would be good-maybe a one act, if possible, just so we can pull it off, and maybe we could do a more well known, longer, Broadway junior musical in the spring. However, if any Broadway junior shows do fit my description, I would love to hear them (keep in mind that something like Beauty and the Beast, which requires a large set, costumes, and special effects, would not be appropriate just yet!).

Some shows I've considered:

* Dear Edwina
* Snoopy!!!
* Lucky Stiff
* Working (monitoring some of the less appropriate songs/lyrics/monologues out-only problem is, my summer camp just did this last year, so that leaves out recruiting some of them)
* A Year With Frog and Toad
* Pippin

I should also mention that two theatre companies are already doing the 25th Putnam Annual Spelling Bee this season, and my theatre's mainstage season (with adults) is probably doing Honk! in the spring, which rules the two of them out.

So far, my favorite is Dear Edwina-it fits the bill with a small cast, age appropriate, ensemble based, fun musical, and I think it would be a lot of fun. Lucky Stiff also seems doable, though from what I've researched, it has mostly guy roles, and I don't know very much about it (I've never seen it live or anything), so more info would be welcome!

Any suggestions are welcome!

Youtube vlogging channel: 5BroadwayBabies (I'm Mara)

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Godspell. The show's a blast and seems to fit what you're looking for. It's an ensemble show, the only named roles are Jesus and John the Baptist/Judas. There are plenty of solos to showcase the talent you have. And you can always opt to do the Broadway Junior version if you so choose.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Company is risky, but it can be approached.

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:37 pm

I posted a very similar topic a short while ago and got some excellent feedback: http://www.musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79501&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'm not one to bitch about this, but next time just do a quick search and you don't even have to bother making a new thread. :]

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:03 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Little Shop of Horrors seems to fit the bill as well. I'd steer away from Company - you need a brilliant lead male to pull it off - plus it's Sondheim so not easy to sing. You can do I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change with a cast of more than four - I did it with seven and I know of a production which used eight.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:33 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Good, Small Cast Shows for High Schoolers
How about She Loves Me?

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:28 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: 13,
I agree that LSOH is a good idea, look at http://www.mtishows.com/ for more ideas. :)

]Recently: Edith- Pirates of Penzance
Penny- Hairspray

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:53 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
I was thinking about Mamma Mia! if that one is realesed yet. Its have a lot off girls in the leads and its fairly simply in terms off sets and costumes, well apart from a couple off wild ABBA replica costumes :crazy: and the company could be added and reduced as you have castmembers. Else [Title of Show] might be an option, but thats only have 4 cast members in the original version.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]