The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Set construction and lighting design 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Set construction and lighting design
Hello
I am a high school director that has been lucky enough to have tech crews that know how to construct a set and design lighting.
Now I'm possibly faced with a position where there is nobody who knows this stuff, and it would be my job to do these.
Are there any good websites on learning these things? I absolutely know nothing about constructing a set especially.
Help!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:05 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I don't know that I'd go into that situation. Do you have any technical theater skills? Basic carpentry? Do you know how to hang and focus a light?

Here's a good book to have as a start:
http://www.amazon.com/Backstage-Handboo ... 428&sr=8-1

But being the set designer, lighting designer and director is a bit much.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:19 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Actually, there are some people with a working knowledge of some of that. I've worked in theatre forever, I have just never been in charge of those things. I have designed sets, etc. just never had to be in charge of building those things. Wondered if there was a website that gave an overview of those things. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:42 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Set info
Carole,

Herein is the crux of your problem: Safety. Very little info you get off of a forum like this can be construed as accurate without you doing your due diligence to confirm it all. This is the problem with the internet: ANY moron can post the "correct" information and ANYONE can take it at face value and run with it and get themselves-or their students- injured.

Being a professional rigger, I've seen this happen. I'm going to message you with my contact info and maybe I can be of help.

Motley Crue
MF of the Year

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:20 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Set info
Tinker Rigger wrote:
Carole,

Herein is the crux of your problem: Safety. Very little info you get off of a forum like this can be construed as accurate without you doing your due diligence to confirm it all. This is the problem with the internet: ANY moron can post the "correct" information and ANYONE can take it at face value and run with it and get themselves-or their students- injured.

Being a professional rigger, I've seen this happen. I'm going to message you with my contact info and maybe I can be of help.

Well said, you just don't know what is true.

[Mod edit: no commercial links in signatures, thankyouverymuch. Any repetition will result in a ban.]

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]