The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Vocal Ranges 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Obsessed with Sondheim. Always Sondheim.
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Vocal Ranges
I'd agree that the Wiki definitions of vocal ranges are quite loose. Sopranos should have a range above C6. In Sweeney Todd, the sopranos hit up to a D6, and sustain it for ages..

I would list the ranges as follows:
Sop: C4 - D6
Mezzo: A3 - A5
Alto: D3 - G5
Tenor: C3 - C5 and beyond
Bari: F2 - F4
Bass: E2 - E4 although they would probably rarely go above a D4 and would sometimes go lower to a D2

Previously: Mary Phagan in Parade, Puck in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Little Red in Into the Woods, Annie in Annie

Hopefully: Fantine in Les Mis, Rose in Gypsy, Olive in Spelling Bee..

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

TheatreGeek04 wrote:
Bass: E2 - E4 although they would probably rarely go above a D4 and would sometimes go lower to a D2

Depends on what kind of work you're talking about. In choral music, a D2 is fairly common. Oratorios, especially, tend to feature extreme soloist notes. Arias tend to be a little rarer, but you'd expect anyone classified in a bass fach to have a nice D2. But musicals? Hell, I don't remember any role where I've ever been required to go that low, though I have interpolated for effect down there a couple times (in fact, in one of my Sweeney Todd productions, as I was mic'ed, the MD asked me to double the bass choral part when possible down an octave, which took me down to at least C2, and maybe even B1, though it's very hard to project down there.)

On the other hand, I have consistently been required to pop E4s and even F4s are not that rare -- Turpin, which is about as bassy a part as there is has got a couple, they're all over various ensemble bits (I recall some in Seussical) and even higher.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Rorgg wrote:
On the other hand, I have consistently been required to pop E4s and even F4s are not that rare -- Turpin, which is about as bassy a part as there is has got a couple, they're all over various ensemble bits (I recall some in Seussical) and even higher.

I can cirtainly help your seussical recollections. There are two basses in the show,as noted, Yertle the Turtle, and Wickersham Brother #3 (despite what most think from the names alone, Wick. #3 has the bigger part). Yertle, in his first song, shares the same notes with wick. 3. In his second scene, as the judge, the first few lines, are all a little low, but during his speech, he goes really low. At least a C2 to a B. I'm not really sure, but my musical director wants me to go even lower. Lowest note in the show, and then he wants me to pop off a F4 (might be even higher, IDK the musical terms lol) immediately after.

The ensemble base bits, while there are a few meaningful bits (they mostly call us, and I'm qouting from the script: "vocally low men" :crazy: ), mostly, there's not even a note for us. :thumbdown: Mind you, there's only, in my production, 3 basses, they being, me, playing Yertle, Wick 3, and Wick 2, i think. We only have 2 tenors as well, being the Cat, and Jojo :| . Not a lot of guys! Hope this helps!

comped

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Well, I played Horton in my production, so that wasn't what I was referring to. I remember Yertle's low bit, though, and I'm almost positive it bottoms out at D2. Now, I interpolated a D2 myself in one bit (In the "Egg Nest and Tree" reprise IIRC) because it was present in the chorus on the OCR and sounded good and we didn't have anyone else to do it.

I'm trying to remember the ensemble bit with the high part. It may have been in "Anything's Possible" or "McElligot's Pool" -- I sang a lot of ensemble parts from offstage.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:07 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Rorgg wrote:
Well, I played Horton in my production, so that wasn't what I was referring to. I remember Yertle's low bit, though, and I'm almost positive it bottoms out at D2. Now, I interpolated a D2 myself in one bit (In the "Egg Nest and Tree" reprise IIRC) because it was present in the chorus on the OCR and sounded good and we didn't have anyone else to do it.

I'm trying to remember the ensemble bit with the high part. It may have been in "Anything's Possible" or "McElligot's Pool" -- I sang a lot of ensemble parts from offstage.

How fun! I'm kinda in the love/hate/eh mode right now. I love the idea, hate the execution, and am eh with the cast :0

Anything's possible sounds about right. :)

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2