The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
choreographing for non-dancers 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post choreographing for non-dancers
So I'm supposed to choreograph some tap stuff for "The Boyfriend" but I think there's only about 3 people in it who can actually tap dance.

Hmm.. should be fun.

Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Like the arts? Check out my new blog The Arts!!

Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Patience... yes. I have to choreograph something for "Children of Eden" and I have no clue how many people I have to choreograph for and what their ages/experience is... the show opens on Feb 17th and I still haven't seen my dancers...

Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:35 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Like the arts? Check out my new blog The Arts!!

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Here are some ideas. I choreograph for 12-14 year old, inexperienced dancers all the time.

First, keep it simple. Flap steps, a single time step, grapevines - these are all manageable. Also pivot turns and varying the pivots from a single to a 2 point or a 4 point pivot adds interest but keeps the step relatively simple. I would emphasize the use of arms and hands to keep the audiences focus up at the dancers' faces instead of on their feet. Break down each step and have the dancers build on the move one step at a time. It might be a bit monotonous for you, but if the dancers master one or two simple steps, then building on those will be easier because you will have brought up their confidence! Hope this is helpful!!! Break a leg!

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:39 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

concentrate on the shape the group makes as a wole rather than the dance steps on the individual, for example you can do a lot with shapes such as moving from a semi circle to say a square....then incorporate the use of a few very clever steps (clean and simple but quick/slick are usually effective) then repeat them in cannon or on the other side, use the dancers amongst the company for the complex steps and the movers for the arms and head moves, complementing what the dancers are doing. Try props, often movers feel more confident if they have something to utilise, such as a row of chairs and a clever 'pat-a-cake' combination with hands and heads echoing the taps of the dancers can be a showstopper if clean and well rehearsed!

good luck, assign dance captains to clean up and train the movers and you will have a fab routine on your hands!

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: choreographing for non-dancers
[quote="Whit"]So I'm supposed to choreograph some tap stuff for "The Boyfriend" but I think there's only about 3 people in it who can actually tap dance.

Hmm.. should be fun.[/quote]

When my HS musical director directed No No Nannette, she taught a group of 10 boys to tap dance - and they were decent! I just wanted to let yo know that it CAN be done. Good luck!

The Sergeant in The Boys from Syracuse
Rapunzel''''s Prince in Into the Woods
Harvey Johnson in Bye Bye Birdie
Gremio in Kiss Me Kate
Leader of the Pack

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:23 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I've found with tap dance that if you can get them to master brushes, shuffles, and falaps, the rest falls into place. Keeping it simple is great advice, it's way better to have a clean simple dance than complicated choreography that no one can execute. You'll know how far you can push with the group you have.

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]