The Resource For Musicals

The Green Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Is Spelling Bee appropriate for high schools? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The whole point Please is to make Spelling Bee appropriate for high schools. When you do a show at a high school, you have to run it past administrators and parents as well. It's not all about adolescent humor, which is apparently what you appreciate.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:47 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Either do the full version uncut or unchanged (the only legal way to do it) or do a different show. Sadly, MTI does not have a school edition up for licensing.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
The whole point Please is to make Spelling Bee appropriate for high schools. When you do a show at a high school, you have to run it past administrators and parents as well. It's not all about adolescent humor, which is apparently what you appreciate.

Have you ever seen or heard of a high school production of Speed the Plow?

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:12 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm not taking a side but for what it's worth MTI is releasing alternate lyrics for My Unfortunate Erection to make it more appropriate for schools...

Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
MTI also said this in their e-newsletter:
"Although adults played the students on Broadway, THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE is a great choice for schools as well as community and regional theatres."

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:13 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

thanks I was trying to find that quote...but to no avail...

Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
thanks I was trying to find that quote...but to no avail...

MTI is being tricky. They said the quote that I posted in their e-newsletter but the description on their website is different. It's doesn't include schools.
"THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE is a great choice for community and regional theatres."
http://mtiblog.mtishows.com/?p=1514
It's the beginning of the second paragraph.

Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Next to Normal, Bonnie and Clyde
Post Re: Is Spelling Bee appropriate for high schools?
This was actually done at my school years ago. There is an under 18 version out there without Chip's song. I don't really know what they did about the gay dad's storyline (this was before my time). But I'm talking about a religiously affiliated High School.

Last edited by The Invisible Techie on Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:13 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Next to Normal, Bonnie and Clyde
Whoa I posted way before I read everything!
First of all have half of you done HS theatre? You have to deal with parents, administrators, and the threat of those forces combining to shut you down. And it never ends. Yes, it is natural for hormonal changes to cause incidents such as Chip describes in his Lament. Nor are the girls blind to it, I've seen it happen and depending on who it is its either hilarious or embarrassing. To demand that some poor guy get up there and portray that scenario is just wrong for the high school age, even though the characters are supposedly sixth graders (these problems are not usually evident until the 8th grade). I understand that you guys are all trying to protect the integrity of the original work, but I can only see one high school that I know of (a liberal arts academy) even suggesting the idea of doing this show unedited. The rest of the schools face different challenges when it comes to controversial subject matter. If its a public school, usually, their district has every one believing that they are backed into such a legal hole that if the offend anyone they live in fear of being sued/fired. Private schools are usually religiously affiliated. And that usually means that they can't do anything that could be construed as deviant. My high school did a production of Hairspray, 7ish years ago, Edna Turnblad was played by a girl because cross dressing is explicitly forbidden at this school. Its just how it is. We change the gender of roles ( Grandpa - Grandma and Zacky - Jackie are some recent examples) because there shall be no ross dressing (granted in both of these situations it was probably much easier to just change the gender but, the plot would have been less confusing if Jackie had stayed Zacky). I'm not trying to flame anyone but just know that most of the arguments for no edits sound ignorant and pipe-dream-esque to those of us who spend a lot of time in a high school theatre

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Music Director
I was just watching our school's rehearsal of Putnam... Is Mitch supposed to be portrayed stereo-typically "black?" That, with barely veiled improv lines regarding religion (anti-Semitic, anti-Islam) has me concerned about a racism backlash. Has anyone experienced that?

Ken

Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4