The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH: A CD Review 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH: A CD Review
The guys responsible for the score of A CHRISTMAS STORY, Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, came up with another entertaining one and got a cast of Broadway veterans to sing it. For me, this is the best score written for a musical based on a Roald Dahl book

You can read my review at http://themusicalchronicles.blogspot.pt ... eview.html

Sun May 10, 2015 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH: A CD Review
I actually heard the score by way of a free digital download via the show's website, and I really wish that that was a more popular way of releasing scores to the public because there's no financial obligation. And thank God I didn't have to spend any money on this score because I didn't enjoy it. Even though I'm not a Pasek and Paul fan (with the caveat that I've never heard Edges), I was really excited to finally get an opportunity to hear the "James" score because I've always loved the story and out of P&P's four scores, this one seems to be in limbo for a long time which is probably why they rushed to put out this concept album because it will probably take a while to get it produced. Although I noticed on the website that it's already available for licensing, so there seems to be some mixed signals here. Anyway, I thought the whole album was a missed opportunity when you bear in mind the cast they wrangled up. Out of the six insect characters, the only one who gets a solo is Ladybug, which tells me that for some reason Megan Hilty is still iding on the coattails of Smash. But come on, not one solo for either Earthworm (who is really James' best friend out of all six of the insects) or Centipede (who with the obvious exception of James is really the protagonist of the story)? And I think that overall the focus of the score is on the wrong characters: Spiker and Sponge. Now, I love me some Jackie Hoffman/Mary Testa but they are absolutely insufferable on this album. Part of that goes with the characters they play and part of that might have something to do with the direction they were given, but they are both absolutely powerhouse vocalists and it was a real shame that they weren't able to showcase their talents.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon May 18, 2015 6:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH: A CD Review
This study is to find a good fit.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]