The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Most/Least Expensive Musicals 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Most/Least Expensive Musicals
If you have experience producing musicals, I'd like to know which musicals are the most expensive to produce and which are the least expensive to produce. I'm not just talking about costs due to performance rights, but also expenses from costumes, props, special effects, etc. For example, I hear that Shrek the Musical is especially expensive to put on due to the costumes of the fairy tale characters.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Most/Least Expensive Musicals
I don't know the answer to this myself, but one place you might want to check out is schooltheatre.org. There is a really good open forum there (you can register on the website for free) where a lot of educational and community theater directors post, and some of them might be able to better answer your question based on their personal experiences producing different musicals.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Quote:
I hear that Shrek the Musical is especially expensive to put on due to the costumes of the fairy tale characters.

Well, that would be highly dependant on how inexpensively you can create/obtain costumes. There's not a ton in the show that really REQUIRES a big expenditure, I've seen it done pretty cheaply. I'd guess it'd be something with a big set that can't be avoided -- like Titanic, perhaps. Of course, that show's a disaster...

#-o

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:50 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The Last Five Years should probably be amongst the cheapest; it has a cast of two, no dancing, and a minimalist set. It's intimate and a film adaptation is coming out this year.

At least that's the impression I get from having researched it; I haven't actually seen or heard any of it.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:47 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

strange and unique topic for me.. not worked on it.. may be internet help you in this..
pokies bonuses

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]