The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The Perfect Valentine Musical in London 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: whistling Jelicle Cats while I do the gardening
Main Role: Fan
Post The Perfect Valentine Musical in London
This youtube video ad (http://theatr.net/UQhyd2) got me thinking... what would the perfect Valentine show be. I used to take all my girlfriends to Cats, proving that a show doesn't have to be romantic to make going to the theatre romantic, but I guess it helps... right?

What's worked, what has failed - spill the beans!

Simon

now I'm taking my daughters to see Cats - I kinda like that!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: The Perfect Valentine Musical in London
Something fluffy and fun is usually the safer option, i.e. Mamma Mia!, especially is it's a guy bringing a girl to the theatre. Might not be sophisticated, but at least it has a feelgood vibe...
Otherwise, POTO would be my first choice (I'll just wait for the backlash...). Seriously though, it centres around the theme of love (let's forget the creepy obsession bit... ;) ), so I'm not sure how you can get better than that. Plus, almost everyone will know at least a bit of the music, if god forbid you're bringing a non-MT person to the theatre for Valentines...

Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
aww Cats that is so cute to take your daughters. one of my favorties :) and girls who are not in theatre usually love it. Im a girl in theatre and I do.

Phantom is a great idea very romantic!! and depending what you are in the mood for classic. that would be my top recommendation for a romantic evening.

Mamma Mia is fun. I went on a date to Jersey Boys once which was great. Those two are definitely more lighthearted evenings. kissme Kate is also romantic and funny.

Wicked is amazing as well! Those are my recommendations

For a date night after valentines see Once. it's wonderful. but i wont be open till after.

and its not necessarily romantic but if you can get tickets and like the style Book of Mormon needs to be seen. Its hysterical and uplifting and fun and makes fun of other musicals.

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I LOVE what I've seen of Book Of Mormon, and I'm going to be in London when it opens BUT I am yet to find sufficient funds to actually see it :(
I actually can see going to Book Of Mormon being a great thing to do for a date, even on Valentines!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: whistling Jelicle Cats while I do the gardening
Main Role: Fan
Gosh I wasn't expecting Book of Mormon and Jersey Boys to come up. I guess it really proves that the show needn't be romantic when a night out at the theatre is so romantic in itself!

Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]