The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Overrated actors 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Overrated actors
I didn't even like the Chicago movie that much. It was enjoyable enough, but again, hardly Oscar-deserving. It's a pity that it didn't turn out better because the screenplay was really quite good. With a visionary director and better actors I think it would've been excellent. But Far From Heaven, Adaptation and Frida were all far better movies that year.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:50 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I disagree. I thought Moore completely missed the most important aspect of Palin's personality: her charisma and her sense of humor. She was flat, and far too serious. Palin is always very vibrant, whether she's an idiot or not. And her cadence was way off as well. I dunno. I just think her lack of technique is evident in everything she does.

And Elliot, I saw CZJ. She was truly wonderful....EXCEPT in Send in the Clowns (I saw the show prior to the Tonys as well). Unless you saw the show, you can't really judge her performance from the Tonys. I promise you that.

With that said, however, Bernadette DID kick her ass royally. But CZJ was by far more elegant and regal in the role, which it does in fact require. But Bernadette was just magical.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Salome wrote:
Mungojerrie_rt wrote:

Ethel Merman
Sutton Foster
Ruthie Henshall

Again, not saying that they're bad, just that there is better.

I have to disagree..Without Merman ,the who concept of the broadway diva wouldnt exsit..she wants the fines actress but she was a HUGE presence..commanded the stage like no other.

Sutton Foster..she can play anything..such a talent,actress,singer,dancer..and so much energy. she makes bad shows worth seeing.

Ruthie Henshall...dramatic,comedic,sexy, coy, she can sing,acting and dance like no other...can play ingenues,street whores, ladies and hicks. such range.

With Merman, it's her voice. I can't stand listening to her sing. As a comedic actress, she's great. She was fantastic in Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Just not in musicals.

Sutton Foster, I just find to preppy and same-same a lot of the time. And her belt can get rather too bright for my liking. She's great in Drowsy Chaperone, that was a perfect fit.

Someone needs to tell Ruthie Henshall to open her mouth, and drop the fake American accent. She's so much better when she does. I think the lock-jaw might be a side effect of the strange voice she keeps putting on.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Main Role: Performer
I cant agree with anything you said except in reference to Merman's voice..wich i love but can give you a headache.

I dont see how Sutton Foster is 'the same' as Jo in Little women, Reno in Anything Goes, Eponine in Les Miz or Janet in Drosy Chaperone...all very different.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
completely missed the most important aspect of Palin's personality: her charisma and her sense of humor. She was flat, and far too serious. Palin is always very vibrant, whether she's an idiot or not. And her cadence was way off as well.

I felt she definitely captured Palin's sense of humor. I also thought she did the accent reasonably well. The performance wasn't meant to be a nuance-for-nuance imitation.

As to her acting technique or lack of it, how can you judge something like that? Have you seen her work in rehearsals? The purpose of technique is to help the actor create the world of the character for themselves. It's not for the audience to see.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 am

Her lack of technique is evident in her executions. If an actor delivers, it's none of your business whether or not they have it, or better yet, what it consists of. It doesn't matter. They pulled it out. If they make similar mistakes in almost every film they do, however, it becomes quite clear what they lack as a performer.

Moore, for example, lacks focus and a good ear. Not just in dialects and cadences, but for listening to everyone around her. It reads like a dreadful novel every time I watch her in something. She also lacks in classical training. I could write an essay on her numerous mishaps in An Ideal Husband. She's literally laughable. Wilde is still rolling in his grave. Please watch it if you haven't.

And how can you think she captured Palin's sense of humor? I don't think she delivered one punch line in the entire movie. In almost every one of the interviews, she barely smiled. Palin does nothing BUT smile. And as for the cadence, I don't mean in the accent exclusively. I mean in the rhythm and inflections, which are just as important. Palin has a very distinct cadence, which directly adds to her humor. Moore missed all of it.

She looked the part. That was about it.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
I havent seen (or meet) a single musical actor (or actress) thats really fall into that category yet, at least not among thoose thats trained musical actors.

As for thoose actors thats there cause theyre famous singers or even celebretys Id like to think theyre often overrated, even thou they might have enough stage experience and carisma to live through theyre part. But more often than not I prephere a dedicated musical artist over youre everyday celeb singer superstar for most parts.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:41 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
Lucy Durack- She was Glinda in the aus prodction of Wicked.My goodness she sounded like a strangled cat. I was glad when the show was over. Wouldnt have to hear that dreadful voice ever again. Her acting was ok but she kinda seemed like she was trying too hard.
Which was sad because i loved it when i saw it in London.

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

She seems to swing back and forth a lot. Sometimes she sounds good, sometimes the Glinda voice she puts on runs away with her.

I don't know why they decided she would be right for Legally Blonde. She'll probably be great acting a comedy wise in the part, but it's completely wrong for her voice.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:14 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Jman383 wrote:
But in all fairness, Moore is quite far away from being top notch. Did you see her in An Ideal Husband? Her Chevely was laughable. And I thought her Palin missed the mark severely, as well. She's definitely overrated in my book.

Really disagree with you on this. I thought she was GREAT in Game Change

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

That's fine, I know I'm in the (somewhat) minority. But I stand firm on it. She didn't deliver one punch line in the entire film, especially those lines made famous by Palin from various speeches and interviews. Everything was way too serious. Sarah Palin is probably the least serious politician we have ever had almost in the Whie House.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I see what you're saying.

I wonder, though, how much of that was the writing and how much was her performance..

And I really thought she did a good job of making Palin a real, believable person and not just making a huge mockery out of her as you would expect from Hollywood.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next