The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
The next Les Mis...? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post The next Les Mis...?
Hey guys!

I'm writing a musical/contemporary opera at the moment, and I'd love to hear what you think about it --

here's a link to one of the songs which I recorded Friday just gone.

http://youtu.be/DfJHaUxh9GU

Hope you like! Any feedback is welcome, and if you can pass the video around your musical friends - even better! :)

xxx

http://youtu.be/DfJHaUxh9GU

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Post Re: The next Les Mis...?
You wrote that? Holy friggin' shit. Beautiful. Are you going to actually perform it on stage?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Was actually quite good, even thou its a bit hard to judge the entire musical from one song.

A con crit was that it was a bit hard for me to hear what they where singing from time to time so I would try to turn up the volume on the sing tracks a bit.

And I would recomend you to not marketing this as "the next les mis". Its always better to market a unique story as just that, rather than another variant off an existing story, even if its inspired by that. Just my two cents anyway.

Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:06 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks for your comments :)

Cptn. Wazoo - I would LOVE to have it performed, I'm entering a competition run by Sky Arts to have it professionally produced. Recording more in the coming months to send off to producers.

Profetikus - You're right, the words are a little difficult to hear at times, unfortunately it was a live recording so we couldn't 'master' the vocals any louder. Recording in a studio next time however! I called the thread 'the next Les Mis' because I would love to see this go the same places - a musical everybody loves with catchy, lyrical melodies that's known worldwide -ambitious, I know. The story and everything else has nothing to do with Les Mis :)

If anybody has any ideas on how to take my idea further, please post! :)

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
What's the storyline?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Its loosely based on the Greek Tragedy of Paris and Helen. A VERY brief outline follows:

Paris travels to Sparta with his family to honour the marriage of Helen and Menelaus. Prior to this Aphrodite, Godess of love has visited Paris in a dream and promised him Helen of Sparta. Helen and Paris meet after the wedding and fall in love, and they elope, with the blessing of Paris' parents back to Troy. Agamemnon, a powerful ruler in Greece and brother of Menelaus wages war on the Trojans to honour his brother (and steal their land - something he's wanted for a long time). Diplomacy ends badly, so Paris and Menelaus fight in a battle of honour. Paris is not capable of matching Menelaus, and receives help from his brother. I shall not disclose how the story ends! :P

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]