The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959 

Of the musicals listed below, which is your Top Musical of 1950-1959?
MY FAIR LADY 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
GYPSY 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
WEST SIDE STORY 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
GUYS AND DOLLS 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
THE KING AND I 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
THE SOUND OF MUSIC 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
THE MUSIC MAN 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
LI'L ABNER 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
DAMN YANKEES 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
THE PAJAMA GAME 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959
1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why?
Gee, why don't you just ask me which of my vital organs is my favorite? West Side Story wins the day because that's the musical that truly made me fall in love with the artform. The way the story, dancing, music, and lyrics all come together to make this perfect piece of theater continues to amaze me. But there were about 5 or 6 other shows on that list that I love almost as much.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why?
They're all so good, it's hard to say. I don't know Li'l Abner so can't comment on it. I guess maybe The Pajama Game, though I do think it's a fun show.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why?
Candide, because of that incredible score. It has some of the most gorgeous music ever composed for the theater, and lots of really clever, fun stuff too.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?
The 1989 Bernstein recording of Candide on Deutsche Grammophon is a favorite. Love the cast, love the orchestra, love to crank the stereo up for that one!

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss.
Since so many of my favorites (My Fair Lady, WSS, The Music Man) have already been done so well on screen, I might like to see someone tackle Candide. I'm at a loss, though, for who would be the ideal director for such a challenging undertaking ...

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:17 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1950 - 1959
1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why?
Sound of Music. It epitomises the best of Rodgers & Hammerstein and has the strongest of their scores. Also I am a bit sentimental towards it because it was one of the first musicals that led me in to musical theatre, even though I first knew it through that film.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why?
These musicals are equally good and strong and so it would be wrong to bump any off this list.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why?
No clue, really.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?
The 1999 Australian Sound of Music revival recording with Lisa McCune as Maria. It refreshes the score while paying homage to its past. Plus it synthesises the best bits of the film better than the other recent post-1965 Sound of Music stage recordings. Wonderful Bruce Coughlin orchestrations and theatricality to boot.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss.
A revival of Sound of Music using the 1998 Broadway staging. I hope it can cast Summer Strallen as Maria and Michael Ball as Captain von Trapp.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3