The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1990 - 1999 

Of the musicals listed below, which is your Top Musical of 1990-1999?
ASSASSINS 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
PARADE 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
RAGTIME 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
RENT 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
TITANIC 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
PASSION 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 26%  26%  [ 8 ]
FALSETTOS 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
SUNSET BOULEVARD 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 31

Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1990 - 1999 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1990 - 1999
Some time ago, we did a series of weekly polls where we voted for our Top 10 musicals of each decade and then I compiled a list working out statistically what the Top 10 musicals were for each decade. I thought it might be fun to revisit the topic as those threads were among those lost when the board was moved. However, I thought we would take a slightly different approach this time. I saved the lists when I did the stats and so I have the ordered lists for each decade. I thought that we could, week by week, revisit each decade, this time using a polling feature with a vote for your favourite musical out of the Top 10 we collectively chose last time and then a few questions. Participation will be open ended in each thread, in other words there will never be a cut off date and new members can vote and respond whenever they like. Please don't skip ahead and try to start a new decade earlier. This can be great fun if we work together. As I remember, the discussions last time around became very interesting.

TOP 10 MUSICALS: 1990 - 1999

Vote for your number one musical of the decade, listed above in the order in which they ranked during the previous polls and answer the questions below.

1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why?

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why?

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why?

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss.

For the sake of having an easy reference, other musicals that featured in the old poll included: The Lion King, The Secret Garden, Songs For a New World, Hello Again, Floyd Collins, Smokey Joe's Cafe, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, Kristina Från Duvemåla, Marie Christine, My Favourite Year, A New Brain, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Once on this Island, The Who's Tommy, tick, tick...BOOM!, The Life, Amour, Bat Boy, Henriette Og Hennes Seks Ekte Menn, Whistle Down the Wind, Jekyll and Hyde, john and jen, Martin Guerre, Notre-Dame de Paris, Phantom, High Society, Falsettoland, Violet, Side Show, Children of Eden and Jelly's Last Jam.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 14, 2011 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1990 - 1999
Tanz Der Vampire, obviously. Everything about it is just my sort of thing. Fully orchestrated, faux classical rock, dark humour, dancing.

I have no idea. I'm not very familiar with most on that list of ten.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why?
Tanz der Vampire. It is brilliant, and very underappreciated outside of Europe.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?
Tanz, again. Still probably my second favourite show ever, and Steve Barton as Krolock is unrivalled. Not that ones like Elisabeth and Paris don't get plenty of play.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss.
English Dance of the Vampires. A proper one. The replica show (preferably the Hamburg version), simple translated, well, into English. We deserve it. For an Australian production:

Alfred: ?
Count Von Krolock: Anthony Warlow
Sarah: Renee Burleigh
Professor Abronsius: ?
Chagal: ?
Magda: Jemma Rix
Herbert: Tim Ferguson
Rebecca: Colleen Hewitt

Sat May 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
I love this decade. :drool:

This was tough. Honestly, Titanic, Ragtime, Parade, and Assassins all make my "best of all time" list (along with Floyd Collins, but since that's not on the list...) but the fanboy in me went with Titanic.

Probably Beauty and the Beast. It's spectacular entertainment, and as a film, it's beautiful, but the musical doesn't measure up to the source material, and doesn't really stand on its own as a "great" musical.

FLOYD. COLLINS. Best of the decade material right there.

The recording for Ragtime is in-freaking-credible. That cast! Those performances! Those orchestrations...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Revival of Parade, Titanic, and Floyd Collins asap please? A film adaptation (if done well) of Parade would be incredible, as well.

Sun May 15, 2011 10:26 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why? Assassins. Pure Sondheimian brilliance.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why? Beauty and the Beast was one of the worst shows to come out in the '90s. The original film was brilliant but the stage production was utterly lacking in imagination. It didn't have a single organic moment. The musical didn't bring anything original to the material, it was just a cash cow for Disney.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why? Floyd Collins is far better than the majority of the shows on that list. Not only does it have the best score, it's one of the only daring musicals to come out during such a weak decade for musical theatre.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it? Parade, because the music is fantastic and I adore Carolee Carmello

A movie of Passion, starring Johnny Depp as Giorgio and Judy Davis as Fosca. I'd also love a Martin Scorsese-directed movie of Parade.

Last edited by Mama Rose on Tue May 17, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 15, 2011 12:10 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys

Falsettos. Because it surpasses every one of these musicals by a long shot. I would've chossen Assassins, but no, it doesn't meet the superiority of Falsettos at all. Most Sondheim shows are superior then Falsettos, but not Assassins. Falsettos is just an amazing show that makes you feel a widespread of emotions, the music is just fantastic, I cannot describe it. The characters have depth. It's a show that'll never have much appreciation from many people.

Beauty and the Beast. No...just no. It's a very good show, but it shouldn't be classified as great.

None in particular. The Wild Party Lachiusa, but I can't remember if that's 2000 or 1999...

Falsettos.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast?

Falsettos. And I don't know, but someone Finn-ish.

Sun May 15, 2011 6:15 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Assassins. It is brilliant. I love the Pastiche, and think Sondheim has improved much since the start when it comes to getting the right musical style with the right character. Passion is a close second!

Sunset Boulevard is not that good. Most of the musical themes and motives are given randomly to different characters, and the recitatives are mostly lines taken directly from the movie.

Like in the other thread I will just provide my own top list of favourites, still in no particular order (and not a top 10):
First Lady Suite
Assassins
Passion
Floyd Collins
Titanic
Marie Christine

First Lady Suite. Pure brilliance! The actors are amazing, the score is amazing!

An actor-musician production of Assassins with a Grand-Piano as the bar, or perhaps a production of First Lady Suite!

Last edited by High-baritonne on Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 16, 2011 8:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^City of Angels isn't a '90s musical, it came out in 1989

Mon May 16, 2011 6:53 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I had no idea! I always thought it came out in 1990 due to the cast recording being released then, and also for being a part of the 1990's Tony Awards. My list just got shorter.

Tue May 17, 2011 1:11 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 1990 - 1999
1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why? Assassins is just super. A completely brilliant show that uses its atypical structure to tell a story that is disturbing and intriguing and haunting - especially before "Something Just Broke" was forced into the show. ("Something Just Broke" doesn't ruin the show, but it does dumb it down and diminish its impact.) What I think is so remarkable is that these stories are so compelling that the danger of identification is always imminent. The structure of the show undercuts that potential completely, as does the sharp book. It's a brilliant piece of work. Wicked with brains, to be sure, but a show that also has a throbbing pulse (instead of sentimentality) and that took a great deal of courage and integrity to create.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why? While I think Parade deserves a spot far lower down on the list, I guess it is Beauty and the Beast that deserves its spot the least. There are so many missteps in the new additions to the score, in both the lyrics and the music. It's a shame, because the source material is a masterpiece.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why? The Secret Garden (in its original version, before the RSC got hold of it and destroyed it) and Marie Christine should both be higher on the list and both deserve spots in the Top 10 to my mind. Both are immensely evocative shows with beautifully crafted scores.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it? Assassins is probably the cast album that I play the post - the original Off-Broadway one, not the revival. The performances are masterful and the score is so beautifully put together. Listening to Assassins never fails to be a stimulating experience.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss. I would still like to see Assassins on film. So many people claim its just too theatrical, but I am not convinced. Why should it have to be a mainstream film? And why should it have to be forced into the style of realism when there are genres of film that embrace artifice? I've had some thoughts on the idea of Assassins in the past; they're on my blog.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Whistle Down the Wind (by which I presume you mean the one by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Jim Steinman, as there was a less-known musical version also created in this decade). For all its faults, the score is infectiously catchy, with some of the best lyrics Steinman has ever written, and the simplicity of the story's themes (faith, doubt, struggle) has always struck a chord with me. It's a close tie with Rent, which took an age-old story and revitalized it for a new generation.

It's not on the Top 10 list, but I don't think Falsettos counts. It's a slightly rewritten combination of two one-act shows, only one of which (Falsettoland) was actually produced within the 1990s; the other (March of the Falsettos) had its premiere in 1981. As the show is comprised of these two halves, I don't believe it truly fits as an original Nineties musical, considering very little cutting, pasting, and editing was necessary to create this "new" piece, but that is a matter of opinion in any event.

I concur with Mungojerrie_rt re: Tanz der Vampire, and not just because of the Jim Steinman connection. I love the lush orchestrations, the rock sounds, the dark humor, the choreography. Is it a masterpiece? By no means, but it's certainly entertaining, and indeed very under-appreciated outside Europe, due in no small part to the lack of success of (that which I hesitate to call) its Broadway transfer.

It's a tie for me, between Tanz (which captured one of the best performances in musical theater history, the incomparable Steve Barton as Krolock, and ranks as one of Steinman's best record productions in his career) and Whistle. However, in the case of the latter, I must admit it is not the cast recording that holds me in its thrall so much as the "various artists" celebrity recording, which boasts some incredible performances (Michael Ball's "Unsettled Scores" is a career-best vocal, Meat Loaf's "A Kiss is a Terrible Thing to Waste" is right up there with some of his and Steinman's best collaborations, The Everly Brothers' "Cold" is as good a tune as any they recorded in their heyday, and Bonnie Tyler's "Tire Tracks and Broken Hearts" should be on the playlist of every dance and/or gay club in the country). It certainly is a better advertisement for the show than its cast recording with horrid attempts at Southern accents and over-acting, even if the celebrity recording gives little indicator as to plot of the show.

I've developed pitches for several of the musicals in this poll and thread, including Assassins, Rent (which will unfortunately have to wait for the eventual remake, as no one was willing to listen to a 14-year-old, no matter what his connections; I developed a full screenplay for the piece, which, while constructed from the remains of various scripts for the first film in an order resembling my outline, is still a damn sight better than the final product), Tanz (and everyone knows about that one, to some extent, though the full story behind what happened still remains to be told), and Whistle, which holds a special place in my heart as the first musical I ever wanted to fix (think Allegro and Sondheim, though I am certainly not equating Whistle or myself with either).

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why? Beauty and the Beast. I'm disapointed that so many people are answering #2 with this show. Every new song improved upon the very strong movie score. The special effects, book, and costumes are all a revelation.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why? The Secret Garden. It reeks of anti-feminism and there is not one memorable or hummable song in the show.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why? Bat Boy. The first musical to be based on sensationalist claims and a camp classic.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it? Beauty and the Beast

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss. Assassins

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
It's a really tough choice for me between Assassins and Tanz der Vampire. (In the poll, Assassins got my vote since Tanz isn't one of the options.) Assassins appeals to both my inner history geek and my inner music history geek by blending all sorts of styles from different eras of American song (including borrowing chunks of two Sousa marches for "How I Saved Roosevelt"). I also applaud Sondheim for the fact that although he played around with history in a lot of ways, he stuck with the known facts about Lee Harvey Oswald and left wacky conspiracy theories by the wayside (other than Booth referencing them as one of the ways Oswald's act would still be infamous many years afterward). As for Tanz, I adore it -- the symphonic rock score, the humor, the dark twists, and the whole package. Shame the Broadway production was so horribly butchered, though. I also love Passion, Kiss of the Spider Woman, and Sunset Boulevard a lot.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion... but RENT. Oh dear lord, RENT. It was groundbreaking at the time for its contemporary rock score and its sympathetic portrayal of LGBT people and those dealing with HIV/AIDS, but a good message and musical innovation do not inherently make for a well-written show, especially when the good message is subverted by the major characters being proud proto-hipsters and overall rather horrible people (Angel the dog-killer; need I say more?). I enjoyed it when the movie came out, but the more I listened to and learned about the musical, the less I liked the characters. Except Benny; he was pretty cool. After all, would an evil, money-grubbing landlord let two "bohemians" who refuse to look for work because they want to avoid "selling out" (despite that they could still work on their "art" during their free time) live in his building rent-free for over a year? I think not! And though I like rock scores when they're done well, I'm not a fan of the singing style that this show and its successors/imitators tend to encourage -- too heavy on belting and light on enunciation and adherence to pitch and tonality. Say what you will about Andrew Lloyd Webber shows, but at least the singing in them tends to be top-notch (except in movie versions).

Tanz der Vampire, definitely. Superb score, lots of humor, and great dancing. I also really enjoyed Side Show, so that might've made my list as well.

The original Vienna cast album of Tanz der Vampire (and I'm also a fan of the Polish, 10th anniversary, and Dutch albums), and both the original off-Broadway and 2004 Broadway albums for Assassins. In all cases, the music is highly addictive and the casts are generally excellent.

As I've said before, I would love for there to be a faithful and well done English version of Tanz der Vampire. A few years ago, I had the notion of having Ethan Freeman and Kevin Gray alternate as Krolock and Abronsius... Sadly, that won't happen now since Kevin passed away last year. But I'm encouraged by the fact that Earl Carpenter has said he's a fan of the show and would like to play Krolock in an English production... Hopefully, someone can make it happen someday! I would also love to see Der Glöckner von Notre Dame, the German stage adaptation of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, done well in an English-language stage production. I'm hoping the one to be done next year at La Jolla Playhouse (with possible Broadway transfer afterward) will keep the German version's darker tone and closer adherence to Victor Hugo's novel. A film of Assassins would also be great -- more likely a filmed stage performance, since I don't really see it working as a movie.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next