The Resource For Musicals

The Stage Door Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 2000 - 2009 

Of the musicals listed below, which is your Top Musical of 2000-2009?
AVENUE Q 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
URINETOWN 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTRY SPELLING BEE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
GREY GARDENS 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
IN THE HEIGHTS 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
THE LAST FIVE YEARS 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
WICKED 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
HAIRSPRAY 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
THE DROWSY CHAPERONE 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 2000 - 2009 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 2000 - 2009
Some time ago, we did a series of weekly polls where we voted for our Top 10 musicals of each decade and then I compiled a list working out statistically what the Top 10 musicals were for each decade. I thought it might be fun to revisit the topic as those threads were among those lost when the board was moved. However, I thought we would take a slightly different approach this time. I saved the lists when I did the stats and so I have the ordered lists for each decade. I thought that we could, week by week, revisit each decade, this time using a polling feature with a vote for your favourite musical out of the Top 10 we collectively chose last time and then a few questions. I will start with the the most recent decade this weekend and post a new decade each Sunday morning. Participation will be open ended in each thread, in other words there will never be a cut off date and new members can vote and respond whenever they like. Please don't skip ahead and try to start a new decade earlier. This can be great fun if we work together. As I remember, the discussions last time around became very interesting.

TOP 10 MUSICALS: 2000 - 2009

Vote for your number one musical of the decade, listed above in the order in which they ranked during the previous polls and answer the questions below.

1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why?

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why?

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why?

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss.

For the sake of having an easy reference, other musicals that featured in the old poll included: The Wild Party (Lippa), [title of show], Spamalot, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Spring Awakening, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Producers, Caroline, or Change, Aida, Xanadu, Billy Elliot, Seussical, Legally Blonde, Young Frankenstein, Curtains, Jersey Boys, Next to Normal, Sweet Smell of Success, The Wedding Singer, The Full Monty, The Color Purple, Thou Shalt Not, See What I Wanna See, Little Fish, The Wild Party (LaChiusa), A Man of No Importance, Bernarda Alba, Closer to Heaven, The Pirate Queen, Little Women, Road Show, I Love You Because, High School Musical and Elegies.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Top 10 Musicals Revisited: 2000 - 2009
I would first like to say that I love the resurrection of this threads!

Secondly I would like to say that I voted my favorite, not the one I consider best. I am embarrassed of my lack of knowledge on 21st-century musicals. I also know nothing about Urinetown, The Drowsy Chaperone and Grey Gardens (recently bought the cast recording to this, though, so will eventually get to know it).

- Avenue Q. I never get tired of the humor or the lyrics. There is not a single song I feel could be replaced, and I love the story, although it is "thin". I especially like Schadenfreude and There's a Fine, Fine Line.

Not including those three which I have no knowledge about I would say In the Heights. I have tried to like it. Read the script, listened to the music with the score in front of me, but I can't take the music.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why?
If I were to create my own "favorite 10 list" I would have to remove many of the options, so I will just post my own favorite list, please remember that this is a favorite list, and not which musicals I consider best!

No specific order:
Avenue Q
The Light in the Piazza
Spring Awakening
Hairspray
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Spamalot
The Producers
The Wild Party (LaChiusa)
Legally Blonde
Wicked

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?
Well, I love Avenue Q for it's playfulness, and I never get tired of it. I also really like The Light in the Piazza.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss.
I would love to direct a production of Spring Awakening as a revival. I would have the stage be all black, and parts of the Ensemble would function as an on-stage rock-band without having an off-stage (or pit) orchestra. I would have black stools at the sides of the stage so that whenever an actor was to be "off-stage" they would sit on a stool to watch the show. I would of course let the two adults go off-stage to change. I would have few shifts, if any, and use black boxes scattered around the stage to get the right feeling.

Hope this will make some good discussion!

Sun May 01, 2011 12:32 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hard to say...of those on the poll, Avenue Q, but Producers and Spamalot give it a run for it's money.

Of those I've seen, Wicked. Not that I would say it is the steaming pile some claim it to be, but it is not as good as the others I've seen.

Producers, definitely. It's all around brilliant.

Spamalot. So very silly. So good at making one happy just listening to it.

Dirty Rotten scoundrels, so I could see it...

But, I would like to see Avenue Q done with the puppets used normally on screen, with the humans controlling them not visible.
Kate Monster: Anne Hathaway
Lucy T. Slut: Queen Latifa
Christmas Eve: Can Lucy Lue sing?

Sun May 01, 2011 1:32 am

Current Obsession: Shaw

Of those listed, it would be Avenue Q. I saw it several weeks ago and really enjoyed the performance. The score is witty, clever, and inventive. I found the puppetry to be masterful and precise, bringing the animated characters to stunning life. On top of all this, the show has, what I feel, are the answers to many of life's toughest questions. At times, that's a very comforting thing. I can crank up "For Now" and just remind myself to relax.

I do not know The Light in the Piazza, Grey Gardens, or The Drowsy Chaperone well . I'm going to say Hairspray. None of the score is particularly original or unique. I feel like the subject matter is handled much more efficiently in other shows.

Billy Elliot and Spring Awakening. I find Billy Elliot to be very unique and heartwarming. Politics and art collide in a musical in a fascinating way. Spring Awakening marvelously takes no prisoners in its storytelling. If every piece had the honesty it does, the theatre would be a much more truthful place. Not only does it explore awkward topics, but it does so in a very human, at times painful, way.

There are several. I adore the score of In the Heights. The contrast and simultaneous blend of Spanish and English, rap and conventional musical theatre melody, always astounds me. The songs have a lot of heart, and it's easy to get caught up in the characters' stories just listening to the cast recording. The Last 5 Years is so intimate, yet at times grand as well. Both Butz and Scott have their shining moments, and they're easy to appreciate. Earlier this year, Billy Elliot became one of my favorite musicals. The lyrics do not have the complexity of Sondheim's, but the two stories of the miners' strike and a boy dancer are told seamlessly in a way that I find quite bold and innovative. Spring Awakening communicates perfectly that time of adolescence and discovery. It seems like lines of the libretto really are worded perfectly. In total honesty, it's very easy to relate to, and I have no shame in admitting that. Yes, the fan base is mostly teenagers, but the story, I feel, is universal and human.

I'm really looking forward to the film adaptation of In the Heights. Seeing the neighborhood of Washington Heights up-close will really put you in the story. At least, I hope it does. I like to think it'll add a nice touch. I think most of the other shows would be difficult to translate to film exceptionally well. Urinetown, for instance, is so theatrical, while The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee's quirkiness might limit it to the stage.

Sun May 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Grey Gardens, far and away. It was a pretty good decade, with at least two good musicals a year, but Grey Gardens stands tall above the rest, IMO. But musicals like The Drowsy Chaperone, Avenue Q, The Drowsy Chaperone, Spelling Bee, In the Heights, and The Light in the Piazza are pretty inspired.

Probably Wicked. As a spectacle or a theatrical event, it's breathtaking. As an actual musical...not so much. I like looking at it like the theatre's equivalent to Avatar. We can whine and gripe about how there are so many other better musicals/movies out there, but Wicked and Avatar will always be more popular, whether we like it or not.

Jersey Boys, Next to Normal, The Producers, and A Man of No Importance come to mind immediately. Honestly, it was a GOOD decade.

I've gone through phases of being obsessed with the OCRs to Grey Gardens, In the Heights, The Drowsy Chaperone, and Avenue Q. Love it.

I'm really looking forward to the In the Heights movie, personally. A Jersey Boys or Next to Normal movie would be awesome too. /vague

Mon May 02, 2011 6:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh, I had a thought, are you only counting Broadway, or does international count? If international counts, I want to add Keating! to mine. And I do enjoy the music of Rebecca.

Also, do you count the decade of the first staging, or the release of the concept album as the decade of the musical?

Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm

1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why? While I think there are other musicals that are more important and other musicals that will endure much longer, I still find myself returning to Avenue Q as a favourite musical of this decade. The score is super - one simply never gets tired of the songs - and the book holds the show together and is a really witty parody of the Sesame Street style of children's entertainment. The physical production is incredibly entertaining, building on the foundation laid in the books and score. Everything is so witty and engaging. The way in which the puppets are incorporated is incredibly effective. I think the reason that it was so successful and that it continues to be, despite certain elements that date the show and render it as something of a period piece, is that it acknowledges the whole quarter life crisis phenomenon, which was such a huge buzzword when the show was first produced, and which still governs the lives of so many people today.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why? Wicked. The score is so uneven and the book, especially in the second act, is terrible. For me, to be on a general "Top 10" list, a show has to be something more than commercially successful, even if it is something of an economic record-breaker in the genre. It has to be absolutely solid in terms of its book, lyrics and score and, no matter how you try to spin it, Wicked is just not up to scratch in any of those departments.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why? I definitely think that Michael John LaChiusa's adapatation of The Wild Party deserves to be there. The piece is thrilling and manages to capture (the dark side of) the period during which the show is set perfectly, while making profound observations in regard to our contemporary life without leaning on the crutch of pop music styles to do so. In that way, it could be considered a kind of Follies of the decade. I really hope the show manages to gain the wider popularity it deserves as time goes by.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it? Perhaps the three to which I end up listening most are Avenue Q, Legally Blonde and The Full Monty, which seem to end up in my car fairly often. They are just great for singing along, especially The Full Monty which has some great songs male singers to belt out.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss. While I would love a revival of The Wild Party, I think I would like to pimp an adaptation of Avenue Q as a television series. Perhaps not a full scale season-to-season one, but a once off set of 6 or 8 episodes or something, like Summer Heights High or Beautiful People. I think that would be great fun to develop and I think that shifting the form of the show would allow the creators to adapt the content more freely, which would allow them to make it as current today as the stage show was when it was first produced.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 13, 2011 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

1. Which is your favourite musical from this decade? Why? Grey Gardens. Brilliant songs, brilliant dialogue. Little Edie is one of my favorite characters of all time.

2. Which musical on the Top 10 list is least deserving of a spot? Why? Wicked. The music and lyrics are generic and unmemorable and the characters are poorly drawn.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why? Passing Strange. The story is exquisitely told and the score is one of the most exciting to come out in the past 20 years (in addition to being some of the best rock music I've heard in awhile). I can't think of another example of pop music being used more effectively in theatre.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it? The Light in the Piazza. I just can't get enough of the music!

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss. I'd love a movie of The Light in the Piazza, starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

Last edited by Mama Rose on Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 17, 2011 5:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Avenue Q - funny, witty, heartwarming, and incredibly smart.

Wicked - all spectacle, no substance. The Last Five Years - I judge a show based on how well it can keep me awake. L5Y failed.

Next to Normal - A wrenching story about a mother suffering through bipolar and schizophrenia. If it was a movie, it'd be Oscar bait. That being said, it was very well-written, with the exception of some bad lyrics here and there.

Avenue Q - I like to laugh, and it's funny.

Next to Normal.

Diana - Kate Winslet/Nicole Kidman
Natalie - Daveigh Chase/Dianna Agron
Dan - Hugh Jackman
Gabe - I don't know.
Henry - Hunter Parrish
The doctor - Eric McCormack

Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Vote for your number one musical of the decade, listed above in the order in which they ranked during the previous polls and answer the questions below.

My vote went for Putnam, barely beating out Avenue Q and Last Five. So many good choices, though.

I don't quite know all of them, but of the ones I do, I could pass on Hairspray, bucking the trend. I see why people dislike Wicked, but I still find it fun and really like some of the music, which I can't say for Hairspray. It just leaves me meh.

3. Which musical from this decade that didn't make the list do you think should have appeared in the Top 10? Why? The Producers. The music's kind of so-so, but the book carries the show BRILLIANTLY. I can also make a pretty good case for Seussical just on the faces of the 5-year-olds in the audiences.

4. Which cast recording of a show that premiered in this decade is your favourite? Why can't you stop listening to it?Maybe Last Five. It's so freaking TRUE. And there are two or three songs on there that make me laugh every. single. time.

5. If you could pitch a film version, television adaptation or revival for a musical from this decade, which would you choose? Who would you cast? Discuss. Personally? Avenue Q. You could do away with the suspension-of-seeing-actors and it'd work just as well or better with the Sesame-style cut bits. Wicked: the Movie would probably be a great sell, though.

Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 pm

High-baritonne wrote:
Avenue Q... There is not a single song I feel could be replaced, and I love the story, although it is "thin".

I kind of get what you're saying, but can you talk about what characterises the "thinness" for you? I don't really have any problems with the story, because I think that the plot serves the themes really well and everything just is so well integrated in the final analysis.

High-baritonne wrote:
I have tried to like (In the Heights). Read the script, listened to the music with the score in front of me, but I can't take the music.

Is it the style, or do you think it is poorly composed?

High-baritonne wrote:
I also really like (the cast recording of) The Light in the Piazza.

Me too. There's something so lush about it, isn't there? You can just sink into it and get lost in its beauty.

Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RainbowJude wrote:
High-baritonne wrote:
Avenue Q... There is not a single song I feel could be replaced, and I love the story, although it is "thin".

I kind of get what you're saying, but can you talk about what characterises the "thinness" for you? I don't really have any problems with the story, because I think that the plot serves the themes really well and everything just is so well integrated in the final analysis.

I expressed myself poorly. It is not that the story is thin as in it doesn't serve the themes of the show, because it does so brilliantly. It has more to do with the "lack" of a story. I feel Avenue Q is kind of like a Concept Musical, even though it has a story, because to me the themes come across as more important than the story! If this makes sense?

RainbowJude wrote:
High-baritonne wrote:
I have tried to like (In the Heights). Read the script, listened to the music with the score in front of me, but I can't take the music.

Is it the style, or do you think it is poorly composed?

Because of my lack of education when it comes to rap, it is not up to me to decide what is bad composition and not. I guess it has to do with my dislike of the genre in general, and I think that it is with rap as it is with rock, it usually makes poor musical music.

RainbowJude wrote:
High-baritonne wrote:
I also really like (the cast recording of) The Light in the Piazza.

Me too. There's something so lush about it, isn't there? You can just sink into it and get lost in its beauty.

I would easily place The Light In the Piazza on a top 20 list of Musicals, although my knowledge is limited.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next