The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Worst R&H Songs 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

the only good songs in SOund of music are No Way to Stop It, How Can Love Survive, and Edelweiss.

I like the lyrics to "There's no way to stop it", but to me the music just seems a little too ... I don't know ... upbeat for the lyrics. I don't think it fits Elsa at all, and kind of demeans Max's character.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Impossible in Cinderella while catchy i think is incredibly repetitious and doesn't need to be as long as it is to move the story forward.
I adore "there's no way to stop it" from SMH, however i've always found it is in a very awkward part of the score
I'm not very familiar with "a Conneticut Yankee" but remember that whilst seeing it i found the lyrics awful, the music and book however is enchanting

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I feel that "No Way to Stop It" doesn't fit with the rest of the score, but that might be because the rest of the score contain such weaklings as "Do Re Mi", "My Favorite Things", "I Have Confidence" (which is the worst addition in my opinion.)

Perhaps if the score was written with the same cleverness as "No Way to Stop It" and "How Can Love Survive" it might actually turn out good.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:51 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Impossible in Cinderella while catchy i think is incredibly repetitious and doesn't need to be as long as it is to move the story forward.
I adore "there's no way to stop it" from SMH, however i've always found it is in a very awkward part of the score
I'm not very familiar with "a Conneticut Yankee" but remember that whilst seeing it i found the lyrics awful, the music and book however is enchanting

are you kidding?? Lorez Hart's lyrics for Conn. Yankee are probably soem of the greatest lyrics to ever see a broadway stage.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

My opinion on it is far from reputable, I think i may explore the show again.
It's probably agreed upon that the baroness' songs are undoubtedly the best in SMH, but unfortunately don't "fit" with the rest of the score.
Notwithstanding, i have seen no way to stop it and how can love survive from at least four of the 10ish productions i've seen

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

i'll save the SOM discussion for another time as... for "Yankee.. it easily has some of the best Rodgers and Hart songs ever written..

particularly 'To Keep My Love ALive", 'Thou Swell" and "My heart stood still"

'to keep my love alive" is also one of my 5 favorite theatre songs ever.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:32 pm
Profile WWW

i'll save the SOM discussion for another time as... for "Yankee.. it easily has some of the best Rodgers and Hart songs ever written..

particularly 'To Keep My Love ALive", 'Thou Swell" and "My heart stood still"

'to keep my love alive" is also one of my 5 favorite theatre songs ever.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sorry, I meant to say that they ommitted the baroness' songs, big shame

I've just ituned "Yankee" it's got Eddie Albert, Janet Blair and Boris Karlof (among others) anyone know if this is the OBC?

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 pm

thats the television recording. its not bad at all ..good cast..but the sound quality is a bit poor.

also you dont get all the verse to 'To Keep My Love ALibve" if you can download vivianne seagal's original recoding of the song.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

But unfortunately I do have a sense that Farmer and the Cowman wasn't really a strong song in Oklahoma.

To the contrary... Farmer and the Cowman is an extremely important song in the show. It epitomizes the tension between cowboys and farmers back in those days without beating the audience over the head about it. Range wars were nasty business.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree. Oklahoma! is largely about the disappearance of the frontier as Indian lands have been taken over by Europeans (backstory), settled by cowmen on the open range who are transitioning into ranchers with fences and farmers. FatC is also the first song in the overture, imho not for musical reasons, but it underscores the whole historical conflict.

Not only that, but Aunt Eller's "I ain't saying I'm no better than anybody else..." imho is one of the most powerful pleas for tolerance in the classic era of musical theater, right up there with "Carefully Taught".

Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2