The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Worst R&H Songs 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Worst R&H Songs
All right, R&H were musical geniuses, but as with all geniuses, they were far from perfect and wrote their share of bad songs. So my question is, what do you consider some of R&H's worst songs to be? Be sure to give reaons for your choices. The only song I can really be hard on is "A Real Nice Clambake" from CAROUSEL. It's just mindless filler in what is arguably one of their strongest shows. So what about the rest of you?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:15 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Bump; surely there are some R&H songs that are weaker than others that you can comment on.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In my very, very, very humble opinion, "This Was a Real Nice Clambake" isn't mindless or filler. The main melody is distinctive. The alliteration in the first part of the bridge is unspeakably gorgeous. ("Rember when we raked them red hot lobsters...") It establishes the scene at the beginning of the second act. And together with "June Is Bustin Out All Over" and parts of other songs, it's a vignette of idealized New England life - and the vignettes in Carousel are as important as the character and plot songs. (Carousel is part drama and part pastoral, and some of the show's effect comes from the fact that characters are complicated, imperfect, dramatic people, trapped in a simple, perfect, pastoral world.)

Anyway, what do I consider some of Rodgers and Hammersteins' worst songs to be? "You Are Never Away." "Younger Than Springtime." "We Kiss in a Shadow." The melodies don't do anything very distinctive, the rhythms don't do anything in particular; the lyrics barely even pretend to have an original point of view; the imagery in the lyrics is generic.

(In fairness, the melody of "Younger Than Springtime" is better than in the other two songs I'm complaining about.)

(I'm leaving out songs from shows like Me and Juliet or Pipe Dream, where R&H obviously aren't at their best.)

Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:16 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I disagree. Hammerstien and Rodgers wrote soem brillaint songs for Pipe Dream "All Kinds of People" "The Man I Ued to Be" "All at Once you Love Her" "Sweet Thursday" all top drawer R&H.

worst songs IMO ..

Do Re Mi
Sixteen Going on 17
My Favorite Thinbgs
Getting to Know You
Like a God
Wash that Man right Outta my Hair

Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I disagree. Hammerstien and Rodgers wrote soem brillaint songs for Pipe Dream "All Kinds of People" "The Man I Ued to Be" "All at Once you Love Her" "Sweet Thursday" all top drawer R&H.

worst songs IMO ..

Do Re Mi
Sixteen Going on 17
My Favorite Thinbgs
Getting to Know You
Like a God
Wash that Man right Outta my Hair

Welcome back, dear. Your presence was missed.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Worst R&H Songs
Apples2for10 wrote:
All right, R&H were musical geniuses, but as with all geniuses, they were far from perfect and wrote their share of bad songs. So my question is, what do you consider some of R&H's worst songs to be? Be sure to give reaons for your choices. The only song I can really be hard on is "A Real Nice Clambake" from CAROUSEL. It's just mindless filler in what is arguably one of their strongest shows. So what about the rest of you?

One reason "Clambake" doesn't fit to well with the rest of Carousel is that fact that it was originally written as "That was a real nice Hayride" for Oklahoma! Although the song was drastically changed for Carousel, it wasnt originally written as part of the show and therefore sits uncomfortably.

Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

(I'm leaving out songs from shows like Me and Juliet or Pipe Dream, where R&H obviously aren't at their best.)

Salome wrote:

There are brilliant songs in every R&H musical.

But even the best songs in Me and Juliet and Pipe Dream aren't as good as the best songs in Oklahoma or Carousel, and no song in Oklahoma or Carousel has as few ideas in it as a song like "Will You Marry Me" or "How Long".

Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 am

Alm wrote:

Salome wrote:

There are brilliant songs in every R&H musical.

But even the best songs in Me and Juliet and Pipe Dream aren't as good as the best songs in Oklahoma or Carousel, and no song in Oklahoma or Carousel has as few ideas in it as a song like "Will You Marry Me" or "How Long".

the songs i mentioned are 100 times better thn 80% of the sound of music score. and most of the songs i mentioned can go up against the best of r&h from king and I , carousel,Oklahoma..etc..etc...

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

the songs i mentioned are 100 times better thn 80% of the sound of music score.

Which 80%?

Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Salome wrote:
the songs i mentioned are 100 times better thn 80% of the sound of music score.

Which 80%?

the only good songs in SOund of music are No Way to Stop It, How Can Love Survive, and Edelweiss.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="Dvarg"]I think Ordinary Couple is rather awful.[/quote]

That's true, and it did strike me as a weak link in the entire Sound of Music score.
But unfortunately I do have a sense that Farmer and the Cowman wasn't really a strong song in Oklahoma. It just seemed to be functional to the hoedown party scene at the new schoolhouse. Luckily, you have the title song a few numbers later to lift us out...

Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next