The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Stonecutters? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Stonecutters?
Hello!

This is my first post. I'm currently in a production Carousel and had a quick question:

Can someone explain what the heck "it" is in Stonecutter's? The line is:

Stonecutters cut it on stone, woodpeckers peck it on wood.

Maybe I'm being too dense, but what the heck is IT?!?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

-CTN

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Not a hard thing to find out...
A stonecutter is a person who carries on the trade of masonry. A mason is a person whose trade is building with units of various natural or artificial mineral products, as stones, bricks, cinder blocks, or tiles, usually with the use of mortar or cement as a bonding agent.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

David, I believe you misunderstood the question. They know who and what a stonecutter is; they are confused as to what "it" in the lyrics refers to. It is a reference to the next line: "There's nothin' so bad for a woman
As a man who thinks he's good!" They are saying that this sentiment is so true that it has been etched in stone and that even Nature inscribes it. Jigger is telling Carrie to avoid marrying Snow, a "good" man, because her life will be a misery if she does. By the end of the song, the women all agree that both "good" and "bad" men are the source of misery. Hope this answered the question.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

David, I believe you misunderstood the question. They know who and what a stonecutter is; they are confused as to what "it" in the lyrics refers to. It is a reference to the next line: "There's nothin' so bad for a woman
As a man who thinks he's good!" They are saying that this sentiment is so true that it has been etched in stone and that even Nature inscribes it. Jigger is telling Carrie to avoid marrying Snow, a "good" man, because her life will be a misery if she does. By the end of the song, the women all agree that both "good" and "bad" men are the source of misery. Hope this answered the question.

That was actually very informative. I too have never understood what the line means. I assumed it must be an English idiom that I couldn't quite figure out, as I didn't immediately see the connection with the next line. Thanks!

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:14 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Oops
teapot wrote:
David, I believe you misunderstood the question. They know who and what a stonecutter is; they are confused as to what "it" in the lyrics refers to.

Ah, yes! I see what you mean. I must have read the post too quickly. Still, it's completely clear from the lyric what the referent of 'it' is; that part seems obvious to me, which is I guess why I misinterpreted the question. . Oh well...

Later days
David

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]