The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
So how's the Carousel film? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post So how's the Carousel film?
I'm thinking of picking it up at the video store to watch tonight but I've heard lots of bad things about it. What's bad about the film? I've watched YouTube clips and it doesn't look bad.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've always felt the film was just flat. Billy can be such an unlikeable character that you really need to see his magnetism in order to understand Julie, and then you need to feel a basic conflicted goodness in his soul balanced with the perpetual bad boy in order to understand the man. Macrae has a lovely voice, but his Billy was cardboard in my opinion. His Soliloquy did NOT move me. His interaction with his daughter did nothing for me. In fact, the role of the daughter was completely milquetoast in the film. It lost all her character. And as an aside, the premise that someone can strike you and it won't hurt because of the depth of YOUR love has always been an anathema to me... which is not the singular fault of the film of course. In all, I'd rather watch Charles Boyer in Liliom.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

the premise that someone can strike you and it won't hurt because of the depth of YOUR love has always been an anathema to me...

Well, some people are willing to submissively let their lovers get away with doing all sorts of awful things to them....just look at Nancy in Oliver!

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yes, but Nancy never tells her own daughter that someone can hit you and it would never hurt at all because you love them. Nancy lives in an environment where a woman being struck by a man was a sad fact of life.

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]