The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Carousel movie?! 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Carousel movie?!
Hi,

Okay, so my high school announced that it's fall show was going to be Carousel. I knew nothing about the show and so I just rented the movie. I HATED it. All the female characters were portrayed as simple-minded and dumb. Also-I had read somewhere that Billy commits suicide, but in the movie it seemed like an accidental death! I'm very worried, because it is rumored that I am to be cast as Julie but Shirley Jones's performance did not make me want to audition for her. Is the actual show much different from the movie?

Sat May 17, 2008 2:56 pm

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Carousel movie?!
Euphi wrote:
Hi,

Okay, so my high school announced that it's fall show was going to be Carousel. I knew nothing about the show and so I just rented the movie. I HATED it. All the female characters were portrayed as simple-minded and dumb. Also-I had read somewhere that Billy commits suicide, but in the movie it seemed like an accidental death! I'm very worried, because it is rumored that I am to be cast as Julie but Shirley Jones's performance did not make me want to audition for her. Is the actual show much different from the movie?

The movie was now where near as good as the show. It's a great show. Julie is one of the best parts written for the musical stage ever. PM jazzygirlsings. She is just finishing up a professional run as Julie. She can tell you more about the role.

Sat May 17, 2008 10:08 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
The film version is generally considered one of the worst stage to screen adaptations ever filmed.

Mon May 19, 2008 7:39 am
Profile WWW

Euphi wrote:
Hi,

The movie sucks. It just does...There's SO MUCH MORE to the characters than what is portrayed in the movie. Shirley Jones has a lovely voice, but she had no idea what she was singing about.

Seriously, it's one of the best roles in musical theatre. Set Buildin' Dad's right!

It's been an AMAZING experience for me, but it's really a tough role. The relationship between Julie and Billy is complicated and layered, but it's beautiful if done right. There are SO MANY things going on in the "If I Loved You" scene...Not to mention that these two characters, despite being married...never actually tell each other that they love each other until it's too late. That's heartbreaking...

You have to quite literally have a mental breakdown every night. To have someone die in your arms is a pretty traumatic thing...and to leave things unsaid is even worse. She finally tells him she loves him, but it's only after he's died in her arms...

And her redemption at the end gets me every time...He finally tells her he loves her...Just thinking about it makes me cry!

Read the script if you're in doubt, but there's SO MUCH to work with and the music is gorgeous. I would say that Julie's not a heavy singing role, but it's a VERY DEEP acting role...you must first and foremost focus on the acting...(As with any role, but this one especially...You can't get away with just being a good singer...as you've expressed when seeing Jones' performance.)

Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

jazzygirlsings wrote:
Euphi wrote:
Hi,

The movie sucks. It just does...There's SO MUCH MORE to the characters than what is portrayed in the movie. Shirley Jones has a lovely voice, but she had no idea what she was singing about.

Seriously, it's one of the best roles in musical theatre. Set Buildin' Dad's right!

It's been an AMAZING experience for me, but it's really a tough role. The relationship between Julie and Billy is complicated and layered, but it's beautiful if done right. There are SO MANY things going on in the "If I Loved You" scene...Not to mention that these two characters, despite being married...never actually tell each other that they love each other until it's too late. That's heartbreaking...

You have to quite literally have a mental breakdown every night. To have someone die in your arms is a pretty traumatic thing...and to leave things unsaid is even worse. She finally tells him she loves him, but it's only after he's died in her arms...

And her redemption at the end gets me every time...He finally tells her he loves her...Just thinking about it makes me cry!

Read the script if you're in doubt, but there's SO MUCH to work with and the music is gorgeous. I would say that Julie's not a heavy singing role, but it's a VERY DEEP acting role...you must first and foremost focus on the acting...(As with any role, but this one especially...You can't get away with just being a good singer...as you've expressed when seeing Jones' performance.)

Thank you SO much. I'm definitely more optimistic now...and the role makes sense considering her casting for me in the last show I was in. I'm going to get the script tomorrow. Would you mind if I asked you some questions if I do end up playing Julie?

Mon May 19, 2008 5:36 pm

I wouldn't mind at all! You know where to find me! :)

Mon May 19, 2008 6:15 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Movie sucks...to many cuts, MacRae is bad, Jones is bad...

Cameron Mitchell's Jigger kind of kicks ass though.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:23 am

Main Role: Performer
Mitchell and Roundsville are the only good performances in the film.

Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]