The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Carousel Female Leads? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Carousel Female Leads?
Hi,

So my high school is doing Carousel next year. I'm not very familiar with the show, although I did some research online to understand the basic plot. I have gathered that the two female leads are Julie and Carrie. I've been told by people who have spoken to the director that she picked the show so that I could be Julie and one of my best guy friends Billy (she's one of those pick the show based on the who I want for leads directors.) However, from reading the synopsis Julie does not sound like a typical character for me. First off, I'm a mezzo-soprano. My highest comfortable note is a high G. Second, I tend to be cast as the "strong woman" roles, if you know what I mean. She says that I'm good at playing roles with "attitude", lol. For example, Beatrice in Much Ado, Babe in The Pajama Game, etc. Anyway, if someone could outline the range and characterization of Julie and Carrie that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. (I love Mdn!)

Euphi

Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Julie is one of the most complex characters in musical theatre. she ages 28 years in the course of the play. from a niave romantic to a frustrated abused wife, to a strong mother figure.

Carrie is a comic supporting role. a foil for Julie in many ways,but not nearly as well developed a character.

Thu May 08, 2008 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think I'm going to go for Julie...I spoke with the music director and I guess her songs aren't too high so I should be able to handle it.

Thu May 08, 2008 2:39 pm

Her songs go up to a F Sharp...And "If I Loved You" is a much more difficult song technically and acting-wise than people tend to give it credit for...

And I totally agree with you about Julie, Salome...I LOVE that show! I am currently Julie in a production of it...

Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]