The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"Carousel" movie's Cousin Nettie! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "Carousel" movie's Cousin Nettie!
Dear R&H Fans,

I was watching the movie version of "Carousel", and I noticed that Cousin Nettie is featured very prominently in the song "June Is Bustin' Out All Over", but that she never seems to want a lover of her own!

I mean to say that Nettie seems to be totally content to help Julie (and Carrie?) to build the best futures that they can, all the while not wanting anything more than financial success (?) for herself.

That just seems slightly weird, and slightly wrong, to me. I mean, it seems that Nettie is just too contented for someone who is playful, and innuendo-loving enough to literally elbow a fisherman (?) below the belt during the "June Is Bustin' Out All Over" number!

That part of the movie makes me laugh every time, because the actress who's playing Cousin Nettie, and, to some degree, the actor who's playing the sailor, can barely keep serious, or even simply pleasant expressions when the "elbowing below the belt" move occurrs (for those of you who are gonna watch the movie anytime soon, the risque move occurrs when Nettie sings "...just because the captains hanker for the comforts they can only get in port.") I always keep thinking, If she'd elbowed him any lower...thank goodness that the choreography was sooo well-rehearsed!

What do you think of Nettie's role? Do you think that Nettie should be content to simply be a maternal type? How is Nettie portrayed onstage?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Last edited by The Duchess of Mint on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We only meet Nettie twice. We have no reason to assume she isn't married or has a lover, as we only see her as the host of "June," and at the clambake that goes awry.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Liliom...
Dear Monsieur D'Arque,

You're probably right, but I'm still wondering if she's attached to anyone.

I think that I'll probably see if she has a double in the "Liliom" story; that story could provide clues...

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8)

Monsieur D'Arque wrote:
We only meet Nettie twice. We have no reason to assume she isn't married or has a lover, as we only see her as the host of "June," and at the clambake that goes awry.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post I sleuthed for clues, and...
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I sleuthed for clues, and...I discovered that Cousin Nettie is a widow named Mother Hollunder in "Lilliom". She has a son, named Young Hollunder, and she is Julie's aunt.

That still doesn't confirm, or reject, any opinions about Cousin Nettie. She could very well be someone who has never had a significant other. She could have had a husband, or a lover, who died, or who deserted her. She could have a husband, or a lover, whom we never get to see. Weird. So unresolved.

:idea:

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I always had my suspicions Nettie was a whore with a heart of gold. It just seemed like that kind of character.

Very tightly, very soon.
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post What?
Dear Monsieur D'Arque,

What?

Well, I never thought that! I've recently thought that Nettie was the underapreciated, lustful type who seemed wise and experienced, but who was always wishing that she could have a roll in the hay with someone; that makes sense, too, because Claramae Turner, who portrayed Nettie, was only about 35 when the movie was made, so Nettie wasn't exactly old.

That sailor whom Nettie elbows below the belt probably has a girlfriend.

That'd be ironic, though, if Nettie was sleeping with anyone who visited the spa, while she was telling Julie what a roughish husband SHE had...

I should write a fanfic...about Nellie's unrequited...lust...

8O 8)

Monsieur D'Arque wrote:
Duchess, you'll appreciate this.

I always had my suspicions Nettie was a whore with a heart of gold. It just seemed like that kind of character.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:05 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
also dont forget broadway's original Nettie..Christine Johnson was just 29 when she played the role.
She is also the only surviving lead character from the production.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post 29?
Dear Salome,

The original Nettie was portrayed by a 29-year-old? I'm almost 29! How old did Christine Johnson LOOK at 29? How old was Nettie supposed to be, and how old was she supposed to look?

What sort of a woman do you think that Nettie is? Do you think that she has a husband, or a lover, or anybody? Do you think that she's jealous of the good fortunes of the other girls? Do you think that she is sleeping around with sailors? Do you think that her spa is enough to make her happy?

8)

Salome wrote:
also dont forget broadway's original Nettie..Christine Johnson was just 29 when she played the role.
She is also the only surviving lead character from the production.

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:27 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In a couple productions.. nettie has been tied to the starkeeper/ Dr. Seldon..not extremely romantically, but friendly romantic

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post The Doctor?
Dear "Carousel" Fans,

I guess that Dr. Seldon has "the comfort that [Nettie] can only get in port!" LOL!

:wink:

Destined4TheStage wrote:
In a couple productions.. nettie has been tied to the starkeeper/ Dr. Seldon..not extremely romantically, but friendly romantic

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Cousin Nettie!
Dear "Carousel" Fans,

SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING!

I've been thinking a great deal about Cousin Nettie's character. At first, I was thinking that her character was very kind. I sort of thought of her as being a really wonderful lady who didn't really have to have ever been in a relationship in order to be maternal and kind.

Then, when I watched the movie again (NOTE: In the movie, her spa is called "Cousin Nettie JORDAN'S Spa"), and I discovered that she was wearing a wedding ring, which means that she's a widow.

I was slightly angered by the stereotypical sort of connotation of that symbolism. I mean, the fact that she went through what Julie will go through is just so stereotypical, because she will be maternal MAINLY because she was once a young wife.

I know that I'm probably sounding bitter, but I was hoping that Nettie was able to be a strong person simply because she was strong, and not because she had been in Julie's position before. That sort of situation would probably be too fantastic for the realism of the "Carousel" story, but I still wish that that sort of situation was the sort of situation which could have been portrayed.

:?

Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:23 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

People learn from experience, Perez. It happens.

No one is born strong. We have to find the strength within ourselves, however we can.

Very tightly, very soon.
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next