The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Carousel Soliloquy in the Hytmer revival 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Carousel Soliloquy in the Hytmer revival
I own both the 1993 and 1994 revival recordings of this musical, and one thing bugs me about the end of the Soliloquy as Michael Hayden sings it. It concerns the way he hits the word "take" in the last line "I'll go out and make it or steal it or take it or die!" I have heard Gordon MacRae's version, and MacRae really gives that high climactic note all he's got, nailing it like nobody's business. In contrast, Michael Hayden crescends the note. Could it be a part of the production, or perhaps a flaw in Hayden's delivery of that section?

Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hayden's claim to fame is that he plays Billy as an imperfect character, voice and all, rather than the stalwart baritone he's famous as. Hence, the vocal imperfections and lack of a trained or even a constant sound is a character choice to show his confusion, agression and changing moods.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thank you for sharing this with me. I'm willing to let this wart pass. Besides, Hayden gives a more humane portrayal of Billy than most R&H fans give him credit for.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:27 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Re: CAROUSEL "Soliloquy" in the Hytner revival
Yip1982 wrote:
I own both the 1993 and 1994 revival recordings of this musical and one thing bugs me about the end of the "Soliloquy" as Michael Hayden sings it. It concerns the way he hits the word "take" in the last line "I'll go out and make it or steal it or take it or die!" (Gordon) MacRae really gives that high climactic note all he's got, nailing it like nobody's business. In contrast, Michael Hayden crescendos the note. Could it be a part of the production, or perhaps a flaw in Hayden's delivery of that section?

I popped in the Carousel revival CD to listen specifically for this moment and got so wrapped up in the drama of the song that I missed it when it happened. Michael Hayden's performance as an actor is overwhelming. I had to rewind slightly to hear the note and, no, it's not a perfectly sung note. However, to isolate the note and consider it only in terms of the way it is sung is an artificial way to look at both the song as dramatic action and Hayden's delivery of it as such, particularly in comparison to Gordon MacRae, who may sing it better but who doesn't act it half as well.

Tue May 25, 2010 10:13 pm
Profile WWW

Dude, seriously, stop bumping up 3-4 year-old threads. Necroposting is bad forum etiquette, and more importantly, nobody likes it.

Nobody likes it when you bump up a long-dead thread to respond to a post that nobody remembers, with a long-winded reply that nobody will care about, except for purposes of annoyance.

Tue May 25, 2010 11:34 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post To Pannic: the last civil reply you'll get from me...
If you don't like it, don't respond to it. I'm sick of your consistent harassment and I'm not interested in anything you have to say that doesn't have to do with the discussion of musical theatre. If everyone else can post whatever they like whenever they like wherever they like on this site, then so can I - and you if you don't like it, then you're welcome to skip over my posts.

The true sad state of affairs is how little on-topic musical theatre discussion goes on at this site and if I have to respond to a post that is a little older in order to discuss musical theatre, then so be it. Incidentally, many of the threads I revive go on to renewed discussion - so I guess not everyone dislikes it as much as you think.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Unless you actually have something to contribute on the topic of "Soliloquy", I'd suggest you go and find a song elimination game to play in because trying to stop me from discussing musical theatre points that really haven't lost any validity over time is a worthless exercise.

Have a splendid day.

Tue May 25, 2010 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Nobody likes it when you bump up a long-dead thread to respond to a post that nobody remembers, with a long-winded reply that nobody will care about, except for purposes of annoyance.

Whom are you talking on behalf of?

Unlike many of the posts at this board, this was actually an interesting text to read. Who cares if it's a few years old if a reply interesting to read? Particularly those of David/RainbowJude tends to be.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed May 26, 2010 3:41 am

I'm sorry. I didn't realize there were people who thought the comments constructive.

Wed May 26, 2010 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]