The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
CAROUSEL CASTING QUESTION 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post CAROUSEL CASTING QUESTION
I THINK I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG CATEGOR LAST TIME:

Ok...so we're doing Carousel next year and i was hoping someone could guess about how the casting will go, here's our main group:

These are what we are down to

These are the people in our group who could pull off a lead

Senior Baritone - Dark High Baritone, honor choir singer, professional musical theatre experience, good actor, deep speaking voice, gets along with whole group, hyperactive/bipolar (unsure, but he has had his share of antics,) villain in non-musical, only person returning to singers group and in Advanced Drama
Tim Curry Type.

Junior Tenor - Lyric Voice, all-state singer, good enough actor, ok comic relief player, gets along with most of everyone, comic relief in last 2 musicals, vocal music student.
Buddy Hacket Type.

Senior Patter - Can barely sing, can sort of "rap" lead in our nonmusical, gets along well, Drama student.
Jerry Seinfeld Type

Senior Bass - Good Character singing voice, better actor, somewhat unreliable, singers dislike him, did not try out for musical or nonmusical, Drama/Chorus Student
Nathan Lane Type

Junior Baritone - Short, ok voice, professional musical theatre experience, Vocal Music Student
Short Guy Type

Senior Bass - Deep Voice, All-State singer, Tall, not in other musicals, Vocal Music student
Mufasa Type

Sophomore Soprano - Operatic Singer, All-State Singer unproven actress, teacher's favorite, upper class girls hate her, Adv Drama and Vocal Music Student
Ingenue type

Senior Soprano - Lyric Singer, All-State Singer Good Actress, lead in last musical, vocalmusic student
Audrey Hepburn Type

Senior Soprano - Operatic Voice, All-State Singer Awful Actress, Obnoxious, thesp's hate her, quit last musical after not getting lead, vocal music student
Obnox Prima Donna

Senior Alto - Good Voice, All-State Singer, ok acting, hard to be around, 2nd female lead in last musical, Vocal Music Student
Angela Lansbury Type

Jun Mezzo - OK singer, professional musical theatre experience, good actress, plays young well, gets along w/ all, supporting roles in two productions, Vocal Music/Adv Drama student
Bernadette Peters Type

i know this is prolly way to much information, but i'm going out of town and want to answer any questions b4 they come up

and i know i dont have power over this, but its summer and will end up talking about this anyways, so i might as well have some knowledge

ah well, god bless

Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:13 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Well looking at your descriptions, here's how I think it will go:

Billy Bigelow will be your Tim Curry type. It really is a high baritone part, and that's exactly what he is. Plus, it's great if he acts bipolar because that's practically what the part is. The professional theatre experience is the icing on the cake.

Julie Jordan will be your sophmore soprano or prima donna. The part is really an operatic soprano, so these two are the only ones that qualify for the part. The sophmore's favorable status and the fact that the prima donna quit last year might edge out the sophmore.

Carrie Pippridge will be your Bernadette Peters. All she really needs to do is play young well, which is what she does. Plus she's played supporting roles in the past few shows and her voice type is right.

Enoch Snow will be your Buddy Hackett. Not only is he the only tenor, but Mr. Snow is typically considered the comic relief of the show. He has experience in comedy, so he seems like the only choice.

Nettie Fowler will be your Audrey Hepburn. It's not that much soprano singing, more like low belting, and I think she definetely qualifies for it.

Jigger Craigin will be your Nathan Lane type. The singing doesn't really matter, just as long as he can grumble out the notes. Since apparantly he's a good actor, he just needs to be really creepy and he'll do fine.

Mrs. Mullin will be your Angela Lansbury. The role calls for absolutely no singing, and the acting isn't very hard at all. Basically it's act mad and in love with Billy Bigelow.

Your other three guys could choose between Enoch Snow, Jr., the Starkeeper, and the Heavenly Friends. They're nonsinging parts, good for your Jerry Seinfeld, and easy enough to play. They only appear in Act 2. The Starkeeper is the biggest part out of the three.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:11 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:03 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Carousel Casting...
I know this is a month old, but a couple of things grabbed my attention.

Mr_X wrote:
Billy Bigelow... really is a high baritone part, and that's exactly what he is.

Billy is conventionally cast as a high baritone. However, it's not unheard of for a tenor to be cast as Billy - even in professional productions.

Mr_X wrote:
Enoch Snow will be your Buddy Hackett.

I understand what you're saying in terms of this being a response to the previous poster, but styles of comedy vary widely and not all comics can cross those boundaries. Hackett-style comedy is more than a little different to the kind of comic relief Mr Snow provides.

Mr_X wrote:
Nettie Fowler will be your Audrey Hepburn. It's not that much soprano singing, more like low belting...

It's a mezzo role, isn't it? And one has to have secure notes at the top of the mezzo range for Nettie, doesn't one? Particularly for "You'll Never Walk Alone", I think.

Mr_X wrote:
Mrs. Mullin will be your Angela Lansbury. The role calls for absolutely no singing, and the acting isn't very hard at all.

This made me smile. Because acting and singing are two of the things Angela Lansbury does best. And in terms of the little analogies that Patter um er has going, I'd be far more comfortable casting Angela Lansbury rather than Audrey Hepburn as Nettie!

Later days
David

Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]