The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
State Fair 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post State Fair
What are the differences and similarities between the two mivie versions and the stage version?

I'm trying to figure it out from the song lists and the R & H home page. It seems the two movie version has almost totally different scores. What does this mean? Are all songs from both movies incorporated into the stage version?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon May 28, 2007 5:00 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post The Scores of STATE FAIR
It's been a while since I watched both films, but let's see what I can remember - with a little help from the cast album covers.

The 1945 version includes the following songs: "Our State Fair" (sung by everyone, with various verses going to various people), "It Might as Well Be Spring" (sung by Margie, the daughter), "That's for Me" (a song for Margie and her brother, Wayne), "Isn't It Kind of Fun?" (sung by Emily, the singer, and Wayne), "It's A Grand Night For Singing" (a number for the everyone, again with various bits focusing on the two couples) and "All I Owe Ioway" (a production number).

The 1962 keeps "Our State Fair", "It Might As Well Be Spring" and "It's A Grand Night For Singing" pretty much in the same positions, loses "All I Owe Ioway" because of the new setting in Texas, and shifts the contexts of "That's For Me" (now a song that Wayne sings about Emily) and "Isn't It Kind Of Fun?" (which is glammed up into a huge production number for Emily as played by Ann-Margaret). Richard Rodgers then wrote several additional songs for the film: "Never Say No To A Man" (the worst mother-daughter advice song ever written), "Willing and Eager" (a sexy song for Wayne and Emily), "This Isn't Heaven" (a seduction song for Bobby Darin's reporter character, Margy's romantic interest in the film), "The Little Things In Texas" (the patriotic setting song, a duet sung by Abel and Melissa, the old folks) and "More Than Just A Friend" (Abel's love song for his pig).

All of these songs, with their reprises as heard in each respective film, are available on a soundtrack compilation album. The songlist for the revival, which also has a cast album, includes all six songs from the 1945 film, adds only "More Than Just a Friend" from 1962 and then incorporates some cut songs ("You Never Had it So Good" from Me and Juliet; and "When I Go Out Walking With My Baby" and "Boys and Girls Like You and Me" which are both from Oklahoma!), songs from the minor Rodgers and Hammerstein works ("So Far" from Allegro; "That's the Way It Happens" from Me and Juliet; and "The Man I Used to Be" and "Next Time it Happens" which are both from Pipe Dream) and a 'new' song called "Driving at Night" which was created by James Hammerstein and Bruce Pomahac using music from Allegro. All things considered, I would have preferred to see more of the 1962 score used and/or adapted over songs from the other shows.

And that, as they say, is that...

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]