The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Favourite Billys 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Favourite Billys
The role of Billy Bigelow is generally agreed to be one of the most challenging and exciting male roles in the musical theatre canon. Which actors do you think have been the most successful in portraying this character?

Why can't we have the Carousel forum back? *Sulks* It's vastly superior to The Sound of Music and Cinderella which get their own forums.

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:05 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
John Raitt is and always will be my favorite Billy.

Muichael Hayden was quite good but voccally I didnt like his thin voiced interpretation of the songs.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:50 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Favourite Billy
I think Michael Hayden's restless, frustrated, layered take on the role works probably work best for me overall and I think it's great to hear a Billy that sounds atypical in terms of what we've come to expect from actors cast in the role. I'd take his interpretation over fuller voiced, but ultimately emptier performances of the material like that of Gordon MacRae in the mediocre film version of the show.

However, footage of John Raitt doing the material makes it clear that his performance must have been something to see. For various reasons, I don't feel that the recording really does his full performance justice (though it is clear there that his singing of the role was wonderful), but seeing him in action - as one can in this clip of "If I Loved You" from a 1954 television special - really makes one realise that he did far more with the role than merely sing it well.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]