The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
So UNoriginal 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post So UNoriginal
Have you ever noticed how The Sound of Music and South Pacific are almost exactly the same? In both shows...
-Mezzo female lead
-bass male lead
-children in cast
-children from another marriage
-Female lead falls in love with male, but leaves him before things get too close for whatever reason.
-Female matriarch character
-foreign country
-music contains "pastiche"... kind of (Edelweiss is an Austrian type song, nun songs, men's songs in SP are like sailor chanteys)

Any more you can think of. There are also similarities between both shows and King and I. Oklahoma and Carousel share some things in common.

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:56 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer

to get an idea look at the fact that all their big shows have matriarch/earth mother characters.

Aunt Eller/Cousin Nettie/Lady Thaing/Bloody Mary/Madame Ling/Mother Abbess.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:58 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I saw this kid's show a few years ago that combined 6 R&H shows: Sound of Music, King and I, South Pacific, Oklahoma, and two others... Carosel was one I think, but that doesn't sound right, it might have been just 4... Anyhoo, they organized the show by breaking it up by stock characters: Romantic Leads, "Cute Couples", Strong Mother-type, Villains (there were only 3) and a few children/group numbers.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
This is what "the musical of musicals: the musical" is based off of.
If you don't know it, buy it.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:10 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You're right that SOM has shades of echoes of K&I (and some echoes too in SP). You're right in pointing out that the Nellie-Emile love affair is similar to the Maria-Captain love affair, except that Nellie's prejudices overcome her and she flees Emile. Also, I can see how the protagonists take a cryptic stance against totalitarian actions.

Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:07 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Also, SP, K&I, and SOM have secondary romances (younger characters) that end tragically (bit of a stretch for SOM, but still fits the pattern).

Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:16 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post unoriginal
There are certainly similarities with SOUTH PACIFIC & SOUND OF MUSIC
certainly in that Hammerstein had a certain affinity for widowers, having lost his own mother quite young and both Captain von Trapp & Emile de Beque are both widowers left with children to look after.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:05 pm
Profile YIM

Main Role: Performer
also the king of siam recently lost his head wife (lady thiang is the new head wife if you look at the script).

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post UNorginal
Yes that is a good point as well, he has lost his wife in THE KING & I and both Laurey Williams in OKLAHOMA! and Julie Jordon in CAROUSEL have no parents living, Laurey has Aunt Eller and Julie her cousin Nettie Fowler, and both Joe's Grandmother and Mother die in ALLEGRO which came very much from Hammerstein's own experiences.

Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:01 am
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

alot of R&H shows are like that

to get an idea look at the fact that all their big shows have matriarch/earth mother characters.

Aunt Eller/Cousin Nettie/Lady Thaing/Bloody Mary/Madame Ling/Mother Abbess.

And no fewer than four of those earth mother characters sing inspirational ballads that are somewhat out of the same mold:

i.e.

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bali Ha'i
Something Wonderful
Climb Every Mountain

Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:54 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You're right to say that You'll Never Walk Alone shares the same inspirational overtones as Something Wonderful and Climb Every Mountain. However, I've thought that Bali Ha'i doesn't share in any of these inspirational overtones. I do not want to ruffle anybody's feathers, but I've thought that Bali Ha'ihas a different nature compared to the inspirational songs you've mentioend. I've thought it to be more seductive and less inspirational, even though it alludes to the self-realisation of a person.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:49 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You're right to say that You'll Never Walk Alone shares the same inspirational overtones as Something Wonderful and Climb Every Mountain. However, I've thought that Bali Ha'i doesn't share in any of these inspirational overtones. I do not want to ruffle anybody's feathers, but I've thought that Bali Ha'ihas a different nature compared to the inspirational songs you've mentioend. I've thought it to be more seductive and less inspirational, even though it alludes to the self-realisation of a person.

Yes, but the island of Bali Ha'i is a metaphor for an idealized world--a world that is free from the discord and strife of the present world. When she says "Most people long for another island," she's implying that people long for a better world (remember that this show is set during the bloodiest war in human history) and suggesting that the world will be a better place again someday. In this way, the message is very similar to "Somewhere" from WSS. She's not just referring to the love that awaits Cable on Bali Ha'i--that's only the surface meaning. I think the deeper meaning behind this song is very inspirational, in direct accordance with Hammerstein's recurring theme of optimism. It's just a little subtler here than in those other shows.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]