The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
"If I Loved You" question 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post "If I Loved You" question
I'm thinking about using that song for an audition, but don't have a CD and haven't ever seen the show live. Had seen the movie once a long time ago, but don't really remember it much. Can anyone help me out and tell me what is going on in the scene surrounding that song? I realize it's a mushy love song, sort of, but I'm looking for more so I can really make the song sparkle.
I've read some other stuff on here about Carousel already so I know you all are the ones to ask!
Thanks!

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:33 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I have the cd, I could probably get the music to you over the net some way??? I was in Carousel last year this song is amazing, I'll have to have a lil think bout where abouts it comes, I'll try and remember some lead up diolouge to set the scene.... if you have a pretty soprano voice this song would be lovely! What show are you auditioning for and what kind of song are you looking for, for what part?

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:17 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Actually, since posting, I found the script online, but still don't really know if it is all sung seriously as a Love Song, or if any of it is fun and flirty, or what. I mean, she's saying well, IF I loved you, but I don't so ha-ha. Sort of. :)
The only thing that makes me think another song I know would be better is that most of it is in the middle range, and only those few notes at the end go higher. Magnolia sings up high a lot more, so I didn't know if that song would be the best to show off my range. But I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks for you help!
(which CD do you have? If it's the one with Joanna Riding, have you heard her in Martin Guerre?)

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:46 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Its a proper love song, slow and really emotional, it would show off your range well if you wanted to show of a high range, it is a sad song.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
#-o Sorry, that's just me. I don't really have anything against you.
Hmmm...well, there's nothing really mushy or teasing about the song.
The musical is actually a bit morbid.
"It is a great spectacle, with some catchy tunes, but it is more than this: dark overtones to even the happiest of scenes, and an almost depressing realism underlying the witty script, make the whole thought-provoking and often unsettling."
http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/reviews/thea ... ousel.html
Good day to you!! :D :P

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:43 pm
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It's a love song,yet it's not....as somebody said of the "Broadway" TV documentary...."We're not in love,but IF i loved you."

-Sweeney Todd

Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:54 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post "If I Loved You"
As others have mentioned, what keeps this song from merely being "mushy" is the very fact that it is a love song that doesn't allow Julie and Billy to say that they love one another. The idea that they love one another passionately at first sight is made credible by phrasing the sentiment as a supposition and the supposition rather than a blatant confirmation really make audience respond to the romance of the scene. It sets up an expectation that is brilliantly subverted in the next scene, when reality intrudes into the romance and incites our pathos as we witness how Julie and Billy's relationship has developed. But the song is also brilliant because it foreshadows Billy and Julie's separation: "I'd let my golden chances pass me by". As the drama develops, one wonders whether Billy and Julie ever overtly state their love for one another and indeed it turns out that a fair deal of Billy's remorse in the afterlife exists because he doubts whether Julie knew that he loved her. This makes the final reprise of the song, the admission that the "golden chances" seem to have passed both Billy and Julie by for good, all the more moving: "And you never will know / How I loved you". Julie's sense of despair in that scene sets up the brilliant final action of the play, Billy's final "golden chance" at redemption through the resolution of his own 'outsider' status by saving his daughter from a similar lifelong case of isolation and ostracism in his spiritual encouragement to her and his affirmation to Julie that he loved her, a message she is somehow able to hear and, finally, believe.

Sat May 08, 2010 1:33 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pretty much said all there is to say there.

It's by no means mushy, the two characters fall in love instantly, but due to their personalities neither of them will admit it (Julie claims she will never marry, and Billy is meant to be the cool, charismatic man about town).

During the song they sing about how it would be if they were in love, when they are actually meaning everything they are saying. So basically, the main feel of the song is "I love you and really want to tell you, but I don't know if I can". It's all about inner conflict of feelings.

--

In terms of what is happening in the scene, Billy has just been fired from Mullin's Carousel for giving Julie a free ride. Whilst talking to Julie nearby the Fairground, Billy persuades her to stay with him a while, which results in Julie losing her job at Bascombes Mill (As the mill girls have to be back at the mill boardinghouse by nightfall). By the time all this has happened Billy and Julie have started falling in love with one another, they talk about their past romantic experiences and Julie mentions how distracted she gets working at the mill when she thinks about being in love. Billy quickly replies with "But you don't [love me]" and Julie goes into the song with "No, I dont. BUT SOMEHOW I CAN SEE/ JUST EXACTLY HOW I'D BE"

I wouldn't worry about the suitability of this song, as Magnolia and Julie are very similiar parts, young, naive and in love. The first, lower section of the song is great for showing off how you can act through song, and then the really high "How I Loved You - " is great for showing your range.

--

Hope all this helps and good luck at the Audition. Showboat is a great show and I hope you get in!

Sat May 08, 2010 1:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Um, the audition was FOUR years ago. I don't see any real sense to resurrecting old threads that no longer have contemporary relevance. Other discussions, maybe, but if the person posing the original question no longer is interested in the answer, and no one else has an interest separately, I don't see how this promotes musical discussion.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:00 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Um, the audition was FOUR years ago. I don't see any real sense to resurrecting old threads that no longer have contemporary relevance. Other discussions, maybe, but if the person posing the original question no longer is interested in the answer, and no one else has an interest separately, I don't see how this promotes musical discussion.

The audition may long be over, but the discussion about the song itself still has and will always have contemporary relevance. Two responses to the discussion about the song does indicate that at least two people have a separate interest in discussing the song.

Consequently, I don't really see real sense to your negativity, in your attempts to create dissent or in your attempts to kill any kind of on-topic discussion on a board that doesn't see enough on-topic discussion as it is. You might not see how the discussion of a song promotes musical theatre discussion, but I do.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sorry teapot, I didn't see the date of the post. I just decided to have a look around the R&H section of the board as Carousel is a show that really interests me. My mistake.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:24 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

teapot wrote:

The audition may long be over, but the discussion about the song itself still has and will always have contemporary relevance. Two responses to the discussion about the song does indicate that at least two people have a separate interest in discussing the song.

Consequently, I don't really see real sense to your negativity, in your attempts to create dissent or in your attempts to kill any kind of on-topic discussion on a board that doesn't see enough on-topic discussion as it is. You might not see how the discussion of a song promotes musical theatre discussion, but I do.

David, as I said, I do see the relevance of resurrecting SOME of these dead threads because they are theoretical discussions of esoteric material. That said, I emphatically do not see the application to THIS thread, as it was a discussion particular to a single person who wanted to know the context in which a particular song arose so that she could prepare for a specific audition four years ago. Your response does NOT count, since you are trying to artificially breathe life into this corpse. I think Charlie's second response clearly indicates this was not a response urged by a need for further discussion, but an attempt to help Brig with her initial inquiry. Please, play resurrectionist all you like, but do NOT assign an improper motive when I rightfully complain that indiscriminate returns to moribund posts are a waste of time and space unless they honestly encourage discussion.

Sat May 08, 2010 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next