The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Carousel Tips 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Carousel Tips
Well, I'm a mezzo-soprano, and I'm a pretty strong actress and I dance very well too. What part is for me? And what girls sing what song?

Last Show: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - Geminae

Favorite Role: Arsenic and Old Lace - Elaine Harper

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:14 pm
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

If you wanna have a lot of fun, go for Carrie. The rambunctious girl and a very musical part. She sings "You're a Queer One, Julie Jordan", "Mr. Snow", "Mr. Snow reprise", part of "June is Bustin' Out All Over", "When the Children are Asleep", and she is a fairly large acting role, even for a supporting character.

Julie is the stereotypical innocent girl. If you like acting very wholesome, yet dramatic, go for Julie. She majorly sings "If I Loved You" and "What's the Use of Wond'rin".

Nettie is another supporting character, an older woman. If you saw Oklahoma!, she's Aunt Eller. Her big breakthrough song is "June is Bustin' Out All Over", though she does sing in "This Was a Real Nice Clambake" and she has "You'll Never Walk Alone", the most famous song from the show. If you want a role that's a pretty good balance of acting and singing, but being the lead scares you, go for Nettie.

There is Louise, Billy and Julie's daughter. She doesn't sing, and has to be a very good dancer. She also has to act very tough, like her father. Though she also has to act scared when Billy talks to her.

And then there's the cameo women's role, Mrs. Mullin. Billy's boss at the carousel, has to be mean and look fairly old. No singing required, and she practically disappears in Act 2 except when Billy dies. She also can be a fun part to play. According to stageagent.com, here are the parts for each of these.

Julie: Soprano
Carrie: Alto/Mezzo
Nettie: Mezzo
Louise: No singing necessary
Mrs. Mullin: No singing necessary

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:44 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Oh! Thank you so much! You were very helpful. I think Carrie would be fun. I dont like to play the wussy-innocent type. lol.

Last Show: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - Geminae

Favorite Role: Arsenic and Old Lace - Elaine Harper

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:26 pm
Profile YIM
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

And because this is a R + H show, remember that if you don't get a lead, there are random "1st girl" and "2nd girl" speaking roles they put in. There's also a girl called Arminy who has a little bit of a solo at the end of "Geraniums in the Winder/Stonecutters Cut It On Stone".

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]