The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Carousel Movie 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post The Carousel Movie
Am I the only one who didn't like it? For some reason, I found myself getting bored with it very easily, and only looking forward to the numbers I liked.

Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:42 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Carousel is a BAD film
I also didn't like the film version of Carousel either. The adaptation is not good: there seems to be a tendency to retain and focus on the popular numbers rather than the ones that move the narrative forward or deepen our understanding of the characters. I also find that the direction and performances feel placed and wooden, rather than passionate and volatile and human as any version of Carousel should be.

This is quite possibly my least favourite Rodgers and Hammerstein film adaptation; I'm exactly sure whether I find this or the film version of Flower Drum Song more difficult to watch.

Later days
David

Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I hate the movie. Carousel is one of my fav shows ever, but hate the movie

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:12 pm

Main Role: Performer
the film tore all the guts out of the show. gordon mcrae was miscast as was barbara ruick.

Robert Roundsville and Cameron Mitchell were well cast.

but the direction of teh fiom is deplorable as are the cuts..half of "when the childrebn are asleep is gone as is blow high blow low and geraniums in the winder.

the bench scene is greatly cut as is your a queer one. the whole flashback from heaven deal doesnt work at all either.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:11 am
Profile WWW

Post Cuts in Carousel
Salome wrote:
the cuts (are deplorable)... half of "when the children are asleep is gone as is blow high blow low and geraniums in the winder. the bench scene is greatly cut as is your a queer one.

I'm with you on the others, but is "Blow High, Blow Low" really such a great loss? I think that other cuts, like those you mentioned above and even "The Highest Judge of All" are far more destructive.

Incidentally, has anyone here seen the 1967 television film with RObert Goulet? What was that one like?

Later days
David

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I don't like this movie as much as I used to, but I can't "hate" it either. I think MacRae and Jones do excellently as Billy and Julie and the supporting cast is great too. For me, the failings are in the direction as it doesn't flow nearly as well as it should and I really miss the full Bench Scene in all its glory.

It's such a hard show to film as it's so conceptual and I wonder how a modern director would approach it, but the casting would probably be so horrible. I've never seen the Robert Goulet version, but it would be interesting to see it.

And anyway, what happened to the Carousel forum?? :cry:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:36 am

Post Once upon a time...
JulieJordan wrote:
It's such a hard show to film as it's so conceptual...

I don't think it's partiularly harder to film or more conceptual than most films. In spite of the many years that the film covers and the epic trip to Heaven and back, I think that Carousel has a really good narrative and that's where the film's primary failing is - it ignores the fundamentals of good storytelling.

Later days
David

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Shirley Jones, while a decent singer, is a HORRIBLE actress (at least, at that point in time!) One of my musical theatre history teachers used to user her as an example of how NOT to do a song! LOL!

She has no clue what she's singing about and her performance is totally wooden, which makes the show DRAG! If I Loved You is sung as if she's been taken over by zombies...

Not to mention the other people that Salome mentioned as being miscast. UGHO! Maybe they should give this show another try via film...

And the cuts where blasphemous!

I would be curius, like David is, to see if anyone here has seen the 1967 Robert Goulet version of this...(I'll be honest...I'm sorta cringing already!)

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:01 am
^I hate it when the system enters me as a guest...I'm Jazzygirlsings...

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:02 am

Goulet was wonderful in the television version of Kiss Me Kate.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:57 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

My school is doing Carousel for some reason, and I wanted to find out about the show and Enoch Snow, the part I'm gonna try for. So I rented the movie, thinking, "This won't be like the Oklahoma movie, where they cut numbers and rearrange the show, of course not!" I was pretty much done after in "June is Bustin' Out All Over", the 6 guys in sailor hats took off their shirts and hopped on each other's backs. Is Snow supposed to be a bigger part than the one he was portrayed in the movie? He only seemed to be in a small part of it. Jigger seemed good to me, but I thought he was supposed to have a bigger part too.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:04 pm

the roles are both rather large. the film however cut some of their musical material.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next