The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
"I Remember Mama" 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post "I Remember Mama"
I think this is Rodgers' last musical. I know it is based on a play of the same name and was wondering if anyone had any information on it. Just curious. Thanks guys!

Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:53 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post I REMEMBER MAMA
For more information, you could start by looking for I Remember Mama at Rodgers and Hammerstein Theatricals.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I saw this on Broadway and it was a painful experience. Some of Rodger's music, especially "A Writer Write at Night" is quite good, but the show had two lyricists(Martin Charnin and Ray Jessell) and the lyrics are sometime quite awful.
"Uncle Chris" may be the worst lyrics ever written for a musical. It doesn't get any worse than "He is bad, Uncle Chris. He is mad, Uncle Chris. We don't know how many women he has had, Uncle Chris".

The show had no chance, even if the lyrics weren't that bad, because Liv Ullman, a really good film actress, was totally miscast as the mother. Her singing is unimpressive and her dancing is unwatchably embarrasing.

I have the cassette and there are some good Rodger's melodies, and a few good songs, but just as many bad ones. Not Rodger's fault. He was dying and still did pretty well, but the show had a lot of problems.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]