The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
SOM Audition 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post SOM Audition
So yeah, my high school's doing the stage version of The Sound of Music. I'm a sophmore in high school, a girl. My range is from C3 to B6. The audition song has to be composed by Rodgers and Hammerstein/Hart. Any suggestions for a song?

Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:12 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

"If I Loved You" from Carousel is a good R&H soprano song... same with "Out of My Dreams" and "Many A New Day" (Oklahoma!). If you're going for Maria, I'd suggest one of those. If you're going for Liesl, maybe "I Enjoy Being A Girl" (Flower Drum Song). If it's Mother Abbess and you can do something from the show, definately do "Climb Ev'ry Mountain". 9I'm having trouble thinking of a Rodgers and Hammerstein song that also works for Mother Abbess). As far as Elsa goes... hm... yeah, not a clue about Elsa either. I'd love to play that role someday (as well as Maria). Sorry.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:25 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:56 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

i posted some suggestion for ya in the misc thread

Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:27 pm
I'm posting the following because I love how articulate David is...He wrote this in a similar thread and it's SO TRUE!:

Familiarise yourself with the show and the material, and then consider which of the parts you'd like to play.

Read the play - it's out of print, but you might find a copy in your library; watch the film - ...

Without knowing you, it's difficult to say anything else because, at face value, it would seem that there wouldn't be a problem with any of those parts for you - it all really depends on other things too. Things like how you look, how you come across on stage and how you might be cast in relation to other people auditioning for the show.

Do some research and then make an informed choice based on your knowledge of yourself as a performer. Good luck!

Later days
David

...and if you still don't know, there's a really good audition thread in the SOM forum... :D

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:00 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Is the post above this one reading as a "Guest" entry? That's kinda weird, but that's how it's showing up on my computer...It's me...Jazzygirlsings! :)

Let me know if you see the same thing or if I've just been too busy these days and have officially lost my mind! LOL!

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:04 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post SOM Audition: Sincere Thanks
jazzygirlsings wrote:
I'm posting the following because I love how articulate David is...He wrote this in a similar thread and it's SO TRUE!

Thanks for this amazing compliment. I'm really, sincerely touched by this.

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:42 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Completely sincere
RainbowJude wrote:
jazzygirlsings wrote:
I'm posting the following because I love how articulate David is...He wrote this in a similar thread and it's SO TRUE!

Thanks for this amazing compliment. I'm really, sincerely touched by this.

Later days
David

I'm glad! I definitely meant it in the nicest possible way! I'm glad I could make you smile!

-Jazz

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]