The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Carousel Audition Help 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Carousel Audition Help
i'm a sophmore auditioning for Carousel at my high school... i'm about 5'8", bari-tenor with range from low a to high B chest voice, up to soprano range G# in falsetto... which i've been told is pretty big. i've recently played Monsieur Darque in BATB, John/Judas in Godspell, Pirelli in Sweeney Todd, Aslan in Narnia The Musical, and several smaller parts, so i'm balanced in comedy and drama. I can sing legit, semi-operatic, or in a character voice. Any suggestions? I've been recommended as Jigger and Enoch Snow, but a few people have told me to audition for Billy. Any help?

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Carousel Audition Help
Familiarise yourself with the show and the material, and then consider which of the parts you'd like to play.

Read the play - it's out of print, but you might find a copy in your library; watch the film - it's ok, but not really visionary or particularly exciting; and listen to a cast recording - I'd go for either the Original Broadway Cast Recording, which is something special and a record of one of the original production of one of the most complex musical plays of the 1940s, or for the recording of the 1994 Broadway Revival, which offers some beautiful interpretations of the material and the characters, as well as being easier for contemporary musical ears to access.

Without knowing you, it's difficult to say anything else because, at face value, it would seem that there wouldn't be a problem with any of those parts for you - it all really depends on other things too. Things like how you look, how you come across on stage and how you might be cast in relation to other people auditioning for the show.

Do some research and then make an informed choice based on your knowledge of yourself as a performer. Good luck!

Last edited by RainbowJude on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:36 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Carousel Audition Help
RainbowJude wrote:
Familiarise yourself with the show and the material, and then consider which of the parts you'd like to play.

Read the play - it's out of print, but you might find a copy in your library; watch the film - it's ok, but not really visionary or particularly exciting; and listen to a cast recording - I'd go for either the Original Broadway Cast Recording, which is something special and a record of one of the original production of one of the most complex musical plays of the 1940s, or for the recording of the 1994 Broadway Revival, which offers some beautiful interpretations of the material and the characters, as well as being easier for contemporary musical ears to access.

Without knowing you, it's difficult to say anything else because, at face value, it would seem that there wouldn't be a problem with any of those parts for you - it all really depends on other things too. Things like how you look, how you come across on stage and how you might be cast in relation to other people auditioning for the show.

Do some research and then make an informed choice based on your knowledge of yourself as a performer. Good luck!

Later days
David

David...I just wanna say that you're the best! :D (I was thinking the same thing!)

Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:43 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Aw...
jazzygirlsings wrote:
David...I just wanna say that you're the best!

Thanks, that's so sweet. :) Right back at you - great minds think alike!

Last edited by RainbowJude on Fri May 07, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Can I just say that the advice above is great advice. Although from my experience some directors or M.D's dont particularly like you to focus too much on other peoples interpretations of the role and how they play them. So yeah it is a good idea to listen to the recording or watch the movies but remember that it will sometimes benifit you hugely to make the part your own rather than trying to do the part as someone else has played it... I would therefore say that reading of the script to get an insight to the character therefore your interpretation of the character, then i find that looking at the time period also helps you to create a realistic character as incidents of the time may influence the way the character can be presented...... this reply may not even answer the original post (sorry!) I just went off on one lol. but this i suppose is my suggestion that will help you create a character when having the role and also things to consider when auditioning!!!! Good luck everyone in the future!! xx

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]