The Resource For Musicals

R&H Romper Room Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
(Potential) Audition Question 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post (Potential) Audition Question
Carousel is one of my highschool's likely shows for this Spring. We've narrowed it down to about six shows, and right now Carousel and one other show are looking the best right now.

I'm not farmiliar with the story or the characters at all. I'd like to get an idea about characters that could be good for me, so I can start researching, if we do, in fact, choose this show.

I'm a mezzo, I'm supposing. I don't study voice privately or anything, but I'm one of the stronger vocalists among my peers. I generally sing 2nd part while doing chorus work. I can hit some pretty vicious lower notes, and my higher range is really strong, as well.

I'm tall and fat, and generally cast in character or motherly roles.

My singing is strong-ish, but my acting is my really my strongest point. I'm a very strong actress.

I have really fantastic stage presence (not trying to gloat), and can sell a song really well, even if my vocals aren't perfect.

Any ideas?

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:38 pm
Profile WWW

Nettie is the role for you. :D I played it this year too and it is good fun.

She is Julie's older cousin and Julie and Billy live there after they are married. She is wise and freindly, kind of life and soul type person. She has a soft heart yet gets respect from people.

She sings the main solo for June is Bustin' out all Over and You'll Never Walk Alone, as well as a few small chunks here and there.
She has a reasonable amount of dialogue but not much of it is plot driven, it's more 'practcal' than 'emotional' until just before YNWA when she comforts Julie.

She goes up to a G but the rest is pretty middling.

It's fun.

Here's me in May. [PS no I didn't wear the jewlery for the performance]

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:39 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

yup she said it before I could. carousel is my fav Old school musical have fun I am jealous. I have always wanted to be Billy Bigelow but hence, I am not exactly the rough and tough brooding kinda guy. The only tim eI did it I was the carousel dancer. fun but no billy. The whole scene involving if I loved you is my favorite love scene in any musical EVER!

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:13 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post CAROUSEL Bench Scene
belleboi80 wrote:
The whole scene involving "If I Loved You" is my favorite love scene in any musical EVER!

It's a masterpiece of musical theatre writing, completely arresting from start to finish. There's a link to a performance of the scene by original cast members Jan Clayton and John Raitt on this page. It's a pity the scene cut to shreds in the film. You simply can't compare the two! Phoebe and Henry Ephron should never have second guessed Oscar Hammerstein II in their adaptation. This scene represents him at the top of his game.

Fri May 07, 2010 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]