All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
ALW's best works/worse works 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
Post Re: ALW's best works/worse works
Angel of Music wrote:
The music of Superstar is good, but I don't like the liberties taken with the story.

What liberties? Aside from a couple inaccuracies it's mostly taken right out of the Gospels. Only Herod and Mary are subject to any major changes (and even then I don't see how that really impacts the show itself).

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
exactly.people change mythology al lthe time to suit a dramatic purpose. its not like they are changing an historical situation like the battle of britain or henry VIII's divorce from anne boylen.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Salome wrote:
exactly.people change mythology al lthe time to suit a dramatic purpose. its not like they are changing an historical situation like the battle of britain or henry VIII's divorce from anne boylen.

To a lot of people, it as just as historical as the Battle of Britain and Henry's beheading of Anne. The thing that makes it different is it's not just about man. Because of this, to me there is a stronger duty for to make it as accurate and respectful as possible. I listen to some of the music, but it would go against my conscience to be in this show for that reason. I understand that some people feel differently, and respect that, but those are my personal beliefs.

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
its not like they are changing an historical situation like the battle of britain or henry VIII's divorce from anne boylen.

I never understood why some people take issue with the fictionalization of historical situations..... Richard III is generally labelled as a "history" but it's not like the real Richard was anything like that. Georges Seurat didn't have a mistress named Dot, either. And Antonio Salieri most certainly didn't murder Mozart.

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:41 am

exactly mama rose.. although it can be argued with "Amadeus" that Salieri in his later years actually claimed ot have killed mozart. and the play is taken from his point of veiw as an old man.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Quote:
Salieri in his later years actually claimed ot have killed mozart

When was this? I have never heard any evidence of a rivalry between Mozart and Salieri, be it professional, artistic or personal......

And by the way, I saw Zero Dark Thirty the other day........ what a powerful movie! Now there's another great example of real-life events, being fictionalized in a dramatically and emotionally fulfilling way.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Best:
Jesus Christ Superstar
Evita

Honorable mention: Cats

Worst:
Phantom of the Opera
Joseph

I'll admit, Starlight Express is becoming my guilty pleasure. Haven't really seen/heard the rest of his work. Sunset Boulevard was enjoyable when I saw it, but I'm not sure I'd call it his best. I honestly still haven't made up my mind about that show.

Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:08 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
To be honest, he is my favourite composer. I know being anti-ALW is trend, but he has done much for musical theater. My favourite works are CATS, Phantom of the Opera, Starlight Express, The Beautiful Game and Sunset Boulevard. But I like all his works, while JCS, Evita and AoL are not my favourites of his.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:51 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Some scores hang together better than others. It is true that sometimes the tone can be uneven and unsettled, but the Lloyd Webber scores do their best to be coherent.

Evita and Phantom are no doubt strong scores, but Cats also strikes me as strong and coherent in its own right. I like how the Jellicle music (Jellicle Songs, the Ball), underpins the entire score. There are also subsidiary threads such as the Grizabella music and the Macavity and Old Deuteronomy motifs to hold it together too.

I occasionally enjoy Joseph and I am inspired by the naive can-do message of Starlight Express. However I've noted that Joseph and Starlight tend to be uneven as scores. The Joseph score was written at different points in time as Lloyd Webber and Rice expanded the score into a full-fledged musical theatre score. Starlight has a mix of strong and weak songs. I note that I'm not taken by Poppa's Blues, and I know that sometimes the bubble-gum pop tends to date quickly. However, the title song, Freight and Light at the End of the Tunnel are highlights in the score. It is interesting because Starlight has undergone more changes than any of the other Lloyd Webber musicals.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3