All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
ALW's best works/worse works 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
Post Re: ALW's best works/worse works
I don't think the show really describes Eva Peron in such a positive way. I mean Che is really sarcastic about her. And there are also scenes where she is clearly portrayed as an egoistic woman. I found this in wikipedia too (okay it's wikipedia but still..) "According to Navarro and Fraser, "it [Evita] was based for the most part on the earliest and seamiest versions of Evita's life, something happened to the tale in its retelling and the Evita who emerged each evening, dressed first as a teenager, then a hooker, and finally, in tulle and silver foil, as First Lady, was far from being sympathetic." "

I like the fact that we never really know about Eva's real motivation. And as far as I know, the real Evita is a controversial character too but is not usually viewed as a terrible dictator. (I may be wrong, I am only thinkig this because of wikipedia and an Elena Rogers interview... :think: )

I have never thought about ALW's political ideas... But I think you're right about it.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mibuulle wrote:
"According to Navarro and Fraser, "it [Evita] was based for the most part on the earliest and seamiest versions of Evita's life, something happened to the tale in its retelling and the Evita who emerged each evening, dressed first as a teenager, then a hooker, and finally, in tulle and silver foil, as First Lady, was far from being sympathetic." "

I've never really thought that Evita was about the person at all, but rather about the idea of what happens when you substiute show biz for politics. I still think that is the best interpretation, although I may be wrong about the actual intention :think:

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:39 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Hans wrote:
I've never really thought that Evita was about the person at all, but rather about the idea of what happens when you substiute show biz for politics. I still think that is the best interpretation, although I may be wrong about the actual intention :think:

I usually think it is about how easily people can be manipulated, how sincere people never manage to reach their aim and why it is dangerous when a politician considers himself as a "father" to his country. Then I rememeber I am talking about Lloyd Webber and I wonder if I am not going a little too far and if the subject of the play is not simply the life of an iconic woman. :?
But you're right : whatever they have written it for, it is better to think that the show has a satirical dimension.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mibuulle wrote:
Then I rememeber I am talking about Lloyd Webber and I wonder if I am not going a little too far and if the subject of the play is not simply the life of an iconic woman. :?

True. But in this instance he was at least in collaboration with Tim Rice, whom I trusted to be at least politically consious - regardless of his actual views...

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:24 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
correct. Evita is such a good show because it was Tim Rice's brain child..not ALW's.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Salome wrote:
correct. Evita is such a good show because it was Tim Rice's brain child..not ALW's.

As was Jesus Christ Superstar, though IMO the Stephen Adly Guirgis play "The Last Days of Judas Iscariot" is the penultimate theatrical work about the story of Judas.

Also, I'm surprised that there hasn't been much discussion about the other song written for the film adapt of Evita, "The Lady's Got Potential".

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 am

Apples2for10 wrote:
Salome wrote:

As was Jesus Christ Superstar, though IMO the Stephen Adly Guirgis play "The Last Days of Judas Iscariot" is the penultimate theatrical work about the story of Judas.

Also, I'm surprised that there hasn't been much discussion about the other song written for the film adapt of Evita, "The Lady's Got Potential".

I was in a production of 'Last Days" 2 years ago..I loved it..Played Fabiana, the defense attorney.

I saw scenes from the original production on YouTube after we closed and was surprsed at how dull Phillip Seymour Hoffman's production was, shows you have a good script can be easily destroyed by a concept.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Apples2for10 wrote:

Well, it was really written for the original concept album, although with a mostly different set of lyrics with heavy weight on that scrapped insecticide subplot. I really like the song, prefer the movie version, and in my ideal version of the show I'd use the movie version with The Art of the Possible incorporated where it can fit chronologically.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Best works:

1. The Phantom of the Opera
2. Sunset Boulevard
3. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
4. Cats
5. Evita
6. Starlight Express

I love the music from Aspects of Love, but I don't care for the story line (too sordid and depressing). The music of Superstar is good, but I don't like the liberties taken with the story. The only one I have heard that I don't like anything at all about (except perhaps the title song) is Love Never Dies. That work does not belong on the same level as the Phantom in either storyline or music, which is probably why it has not made it to Broadway.

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Angel of Music wrote:
I love the music from Aspects of Love, but I don't care for the story line (too sordid and depressing).

I like much from AOL, but I think the show would have benefitted from being shaped as a book show. All that recitative is unnecessary.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Angel of Music wrote:
6. Starlight Express

I have never seen Starlight Express and I have only listened to a couple of songs. But what I thought after that was that it was only a crazy show with trains speaking and horrible disco music. It sounds as if they had wanted to make a new Cats, but off course there wasn't Eliott's words to save it...

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:50 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Mibuulle wrote:
Angel of Music wrote:
6. Starlight Express

I have never seen Starlight Express and I have only listened to a couple of songs. But what I thought after that was that it was only a crazy show with trains speaking and horrible disco music. It sounds as if they had wanted to make a new Cats, but off course there wasn't Eliott's words to save it...

Starlight Express is sort of like Cats in that it is more spectacle than storyline. That said, from what I've seen, it makes a very entertaining spectacle with some good music.

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next