All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
ALW's best works/worse works 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
Post ALW's best works/worse works
Most people agree that among ALW's work, there are masterpieces and very bad shows. The thing is no one agree on which are the bad ones and which the good ones. So I would like to know what are for you
two of ALW's best musicals :
and two of his worse musicals :

In my opinion :
two of ALW's best musicals : Evita, Aspects of Love
and two of his worse musicals : Jesus Christ Superstar, Love Never Dies

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: CATS, Charm&Smiley.
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: ALW's best works/worse works
I havent seen all his musicals yet so I cant really judge the worst category.

But my top list so far:

1: Cats - My all time favorite
2: Jesus Christ Superstar - Amazing piece of work.
3: Phantom of the Opera.
4: Joseph and the Amazing...
5: Evita - Not a favorite, but Id guess its depending heavily on who is Evita and Che, Evita wasnt the best choice at the show I saw.

Mon May 13, 2013 10:48 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I am not a huge ALW fan..but he has had a few shows I feel were quite good..2 because Tim Rice was his collaborator..2 because he had other strong collaborators and strong material...

his best

1) Evita
2) Aspects of lOve
3)Sunset Blvd
40 Jesus Christ Superstar

his worst -

1) Starlight Express
2) Cats
3) Love Never Dies
4) Woman in WHite

Mon May 13, 2013 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Andrew Lloyd Webber is essentially a pop songwriter. He excelled early in his career when he had a smart librettist (Tim Rice) shaping the work.

In my opinion, his only good shows were Jesus Christ Superstar and Evita. Nearly everything else he has done is hernia-inducing, the worst being Starlight Express and Whistle Down the Wind.

Tue May 14, 2013 2:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

His best:
Evita
Jesus Christ Superstar
Joseph

His worst:
The Bautiful Game
Whistle Down the Wond
The Woman in White

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Mibuulle wrote:
The thing is no one agree on which are the bad ones and which the good ones. So I would like to know what are for you
two of ALW's best musicals :
and two of his worse musicals :

This is true (as the thread proves), and I think it's because there is something to like in all of them (if you look hard enough), and likewise all of them have flaws.

For example, Woman in White and Love Never Dies both have music that is among the best he has written but it's difficult to appreciate it, because in each case it's weighed down by a weak book and trite lyrics. The Beautiful Game has a great plot but is thin musically (I like the lyrics, but many on here would say the lyrics are rubbish as well).

My picks, taking both music and lyrics into account, would be as follows.

His best:
Evita
The Phantom of the Opera

His worst:
Jeeves
Song and Dance

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:55 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Sondheim, Peter Grimes
Main Role: Fan
Surprised most people are recommending Evita. I've only heard Madonna's renditions of "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina," and they just sound like every other 90's Madonna ballad. Meaning, They Suck Ass. But it sounds like I need to hear the whole soundtrack.

Superstar is simply a masterpiece. Joseph's not a masterpiece but has some great selections - the Coat of Many Colors song may be Andrew's catchiest song. Phantom suffers from Charles Hart's ponderous lyrics. I saw a really awful production of Cats (London c. 1998), so I have a negative bias against that one. That's all I've seen.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

averysgore wrote:
Surprised most people are recommending Evita. I've only heard Madonna's renditions of "You Must Love Me" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina," and they just sound like every other 90's Madonna ballad. Meaning, They Suck Ass. But it sounds like I need to hear the whole soundtrack.

Well, "You Must Love Me" was written for the Madonna movie, and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" was lowered for Madonna. Funny you say it sounded like a nineties Madonna song when it was written in the 70s.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:23 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

averysgore wrote:

That's because Madonna was singing. and they lowered the key for "Don't cry for me Argentina" for her. Try to listen to Pia Douwes' or Elaine Paige's renditions. You still might not like it but at least you would have a better idea of the musical ;)
I might be partial with this show since it was the show that brought me to like musicals, and even if I know there is a lot of better written musical, this one will always be one of my favourite.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:23 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

And also, although those two are among the best known songs in the show, they are also probably the least representative of it. In context Don't Cry For Me is a lie Eva tells to win the hearts of her people, and although I think it's a beautiful song as such, You Must Love Me was written after Lloyd Webber/Rice probably found out they wanted to make Eva more sympathetic.

I actually like both songs very much, but songs like Waltz For Eva And Che and And The Money kept Rolling In are much more close to the show's political intent. And also great songs.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Hans wrote:
In context Don't Cry For Me is a lie Eva tells to win the hearts of her people

We can also interpret it in another way : Eva progressivly feel moved by the people since she is rejected by the upper class and at the beginning of act 2 she speaks for the first time sincerely to the people of Argentina...
What I feel interesting in this show is that it is up to the director or the audience to decide whether Eva is really as Che says she is.

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:04 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mibuulle wrote:
We can also interpret it in another way : Eva progressivly feel moved by the people since she is rejected by the upper class and at the beginning of act 2 she speaks for the first time sincerely to the people of Argentina...
What I feel interesting in this show is that it is up to the director or the audience to decide whether Eva is really as Che says she is.

I agree it is a possible (and in reality even probable) interpretation. But prefer the satirical interpretation becuse I think the other reduces the show it to a tasteless homage to a corrupt politician. I'm not really sure of the poltitical views of Time Rice and Andrew Lloyd webber. Actually I have always believed thought Tim Rice is a supporter of the Labour party and that ALW is by and large apolitical (to judge by the lack of political direction I read out of his shows) with a slight penchant for the conservative. According to Wikipedia, though, both are supporters of the Conservative party. So maybe your interpretation is the most probable.

I don't like it, though, and think it makes the show less good. My view of the play has changed and I'm disappointed now. It still has awesome music and some of Rice' most amusing lyrics, though, depite its dubious ethics.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next