All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Video Footage from THE WIZARD OF OZ 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Video Footage from THE WIZARD OF OZ
Here's a montage from the show:

I'm glad to see the Munchkins aren't all children - and they certainly are getting their money's worth out of that revolve. And here is one of the new songs, "Red Shoes Blues":

Great idea for a song spot, but some ouchies in the lyrics...

Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Getting a solid B at the top of my range!
Main Role: Performer
Thanks for posting these videos. It is so interesting to see the show coming together. I've been following news of the show with interest and have definitely been skeptical of what would happen.

RainbowJude wrote:
I'm glad to see the Munchkins aren't all children...

Me too. I think it is such a tacky choice to use children as the Munchkins, although it happens all the time. It's such a creative sellout! :thumbdown:

RainbowJude wrote:
Here is one of the new songs, "Red Shoes Blues"... Great idea for a song spot, but some ouchies in the lyrics...

Completely agreed. I'm not sold on the music either. :eh:

Principles that rock the universe: 1. Tenors are cool. Claims to the contrary = FAIL. 2. I love all musicals, but as we learn in INTO THE WOODS - "nice is different than good". 3. Discussing Musicals = WIN WIN WIN = Let's do it!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
GoldenTenor wrote:
Thanks for posting these videos.

It's a pleasure! And thanks for posting here, rather than somewhere random where the content would be swallowed into a vacuum, never to be seen again. Speaking of which, here are some responses to this video from the Random Facts Thread:

Yakko wrote:
I'm sorry but this production looks so bad...... #-o It really proves the ALW is the destroyer of all hopes and dreams.

The destroyer of all hopes and dreams? :wtf: Overreact much?

pittising_poyns wrote:
The reviews I've read praise Toto as being the star of the show. Being out-acted by a dog... bad times.

I'd love to see some of the reviews. I must do a search sometime.

xXMoonOwlXx wrote:
I hate the costumes. Gah, the witches both look terrible! Is Glinda's hair blue and sparkly? Why does the witch look like Cruella de Vil? I like the original movie costumes better. I miss Glinda's strawberry blonde hair and pale pink dress and the Witch's simple, plain, witch dress! ALW, could you please stop ruining things? You've ruined one of my favorite books and now the world's most beloved wholesome-family classic movie?

Yakko wrote:
Well then again he had to nerve to write a sequel to one of his best works.

You do realise that Andrew Lloyd Webber isn't the costume designer, right? And actually, many of the costumes look great, barring a few exceptions. I am especially glad to see all the Munchkins in blue, as they should be! Furthermore, Andrew Lloyd Webber hasn't ruined the book or the movie. Unless there is something else of which I am unaware, the book and movie still exist unchanged by whatever appears on stage here. And faithfulness to the source material in terms of stage adaptations has never been a particular feature of Oz on stage, even in the days when L. Frank Baum himself was involved in the productions. Does any this mean that the production is good or that I think it is good? Nope - but they are points worth considering.

As to the point raised in response to this particular post, if Lloyd Webber hasn't got the right to create a sequel to any of his works, then who does? The Phantom of the Opera is no great artwork in the first place. It's a piece of popular fluff that barely taps into the complex potential that the material suggests and the mere existence of Love Never Dies doesn't compromise it in any way. Sure, there are things to discuss when it comes to what Love Never Dies achieves or doesn't in its own right - I certainly had my say about it when I reviewed the cast album for my blog - but the fact is that it was up to Lloyd Webber whether or not a sequel had any right to be produced and not anyone else. The whole "Love Should Die" campaign is so completely ridiculous that it makes me laugh out loud. Why start a campaign that is only going to have the effect of contributing to the show's publicity machine? It certainly isn't going to erase the show's existence from memory.

GoldenTenor wrote:
I think it is such a tacky choice to use children as the Munchkins, although it happens all the time. It's such a creative sellout! :thumbdown:

That's almost exactly what I said after seeing the show on The Royal Variety Performance! Great minds! :thumbup:

Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Video Footage from THE WIZARD OF OZ
I think the Wizard of Oz movie is cheesy and tacky compared to the book anyway. I'd like to see them put the fourth witch back in.

I like how the witches seem to have the same hair style at the start, but different colours. The inverted mirror image of each other, sort of thing. I have to wonder about the bits that seem like the Wicked Witch is doing Chicago though. As catchy as a sleazy ALW jazz number would be, I don't think it would fit.

As for Webber spoiling things, I don't think it is usually his fault. He may do some dodgy stuff sometimes, but most of the problems usually lie with his collaborators. So I have to agree with the assertion that Webber is only as good as his collaborators.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Video Footage from THE WIZARD OF OZ
I too am not a fan of the new costumes....I wonder if it was done to try to distance the production from Wicked....

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]