The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Over the Rainbow 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Living. Laughing. Breathing. Singing.
Main Role: Performer
Post Over the Rainbow
I'm going to catch this on repeat tomorrow... but have had a look at the final 20 Dorothys here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dorothy/dorothys/index.shtml

From the audition details released in January:

"Andrew Lloyd Webber is looking for a 2010 version of Dorothy, less Judy Garland, more Avril Lavigne. A girl with attitude willing to take on the Wicked Witch and a girl that can show that she can make the role of Dorothy their own. Andrew has recorded a special message for all budding Dorothys which you can view at www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLZh8d8Xkc"

Does anyone see that in any of these girls?! Maybe Jessica...?

There are more way Judy's than Avrils in the bunch in any case.

Then again, I haven't heard them sing yet. Maybe my opinions will change come tomorrow.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer

Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Oklahoma!, Les Mis
Post Re: Over the Rainbow
pittising_poyns wrote:

She's my friend :)
If anyones watching the live shows, vote Jess :)

Recent: Ado Annie - Oklahoma!, Cecilia - Purple Rose of Cairo

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Over the Rainbow
Angel-of-Music* wrote:
pittising_poyns wrote:

She's my friend :)
If anyones watching the live shows, vote Jess :)

Oh awesome! She's got bags of personality. Love her.

On second viewing my favs are Jess, Jenny, Lauren and Stephanie... in that order.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:27 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm rooting for Jessica and Sophie. But I'm okay with Bronte, too.

I don't get the love obsession with Jenny. The panel adores her performances, and don't get me wrong, they are good, but she just doesn't do it for me. I think it's her look. Something about it just isn't right. I don't like her for Dorothy.

As a whole, I'm really not that impressed with these girls. The talent in "I'd Do Anything" was far greater. Maybe when they start using for MT pieces things will pick up.

Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box enough, but I feel like very few of the girls have the Dorothy 'look.' As a whole though, I can't stand Dani and Stephanie kind of annoys me too. And Lauren looks way to old for the role.

Can we talk about the massive shoes on the stage? So campy! And the moon that they exit on? OMG. Hilarious. Oh, and I HATE their costumes. The costumes have never been that great on these shows. I hate the whole "assign each hopeful a color" motif.

Oh, anyone on the other side of the pond (like me) can check this youtube channel for all the performances, missions, sing-offs, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MissAVuk?blend=2&ob=1

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It's campalicious Jack! The shoe thing is a bit cringe... I did find myself getting a bit weepy when Amy left last week though. :-( I thought it was a bit unfair of them to put her through when she is so obviously different to the rest of them. She was never going to play that part and they even said that. SO WHY make her go through the humiliation of being first out for that exact reason? Grrr... They say they want something different and they're playing it safe.

Psh.

The costumes are weird... the see through bit is slightly odd. Apparently some of them don't fit properly purposefully because they have favourites. Same goes for songs. But this is just what I've heard.

I only like Jenny because she's not as stage school smug as the rest of them. She's a bit warmer than the others. And she is more what I expected when they said they were looking for something different.

There aren't many spectacular voices there. I like Lauren's voice and Steph's voice. The rest are just ok. I think it's because they all hit the notes but there's a lack of sincerity or warmth of the tone in some of their voices.

Meh... I have a lot of opinions about the show. Mainly because I was silly enough to audition.... being way to old and raspy it was never going to work! lol

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:09 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Bronte out! Noooo... she was in my top 5 :-(

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:54 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Bronte out! Noooo... she was in my top 5 :-(

How did Bronte leave over some of the others there?!
I'm still gob smacked.

My least favourite Dorthory at the moment is probably Emily, simply because I haven't been impressed with any of her performances so far.
And I'm loosing faith in Sophie. I had such high hopes for her, and she has a beautiful voice and certainly would be a different Dorothy from the Judy Garland portrayl. But all her performances so far she has lacked energy and passion for me.

Danielle has suprised me this week! Although she's not as vocally strong as the other contestants, her energy and her acting were great. Normally me, my mum and boyfriend sit around and comment on everyones performances about 10 seconds in. With her, we sat in awe for the whole song, leaving comments for afterwards, which is what you want as a West End Performer I suppose, to be able to keep the audience captured.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We're getting down to the business end of the show now, will be only 7 left after tomorrows results show.

Cheering on Danielle and Steph =D> but it might be a better career move to come 2nd or 3rd than actually win the show plus I've not backed a winner of this series yet, wanted Aoife for Maria, Daniel for Joseph and Rachel for Nancy - none made the top 3 but all have had decent careers after the show. :D

J.S

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:29 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm glad Emilie is gone. She really wasn't my cup of tea.
My personal favourites are Lauren, Stephanie and Danielle.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:28 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sooo... Stephanie's gone! As soon as she went in the bottom two with Steph I knew she'd be gone. If only for the bad comments. Did anyone else think she overacted with her mouth a lot though? It was a bit like the MGM lion at one point last night. The right person went of the two.

Steph is great - an all round entertainer but a bit too glitzy glam for Dorothy. Then again, they do keep giving her the glitzy numbers and routines. I wonder if they're engineering something?!

Jenny is forgettable. I liked her to begin with but now... I can't even remember what she sang on Saturday! I could see her in WWRY though.

Sophie is out of her depth - she doesn't strike me as a stage person at all. She could be a recording artist, but she just gets lost in all the choreography, costumes and gloss of the show.

Lauren is a fantastic singer but very... uppity. I love how they tried to soften her this week by sending her off to see her friends... no doubt for a good 'grounding'. Interestingly, the producers went to a lot of effort to remove any traces of her looking like a div on youtube. I have that on very good authority!

All of the above girls fall short to Danielle and Jess. These two will no doubt be in the final two.

Jess I like but she's not very consistent. Sometimes she pulls it out of the bag and is just brilliant to watch and other times a little bit annoying. I've never seen so much eyebrow arching in one performance... I just wish she'd take it down a notch. (Sorry Hannah Jo!)

Danielle, however, has to win. I don't have to justify this. Just watch any of her performances on youtube. She's just brilliant.

Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Oklahoma!, Les Mis
Its a shame Stephanie's gone, she's so much better than a fair few that are left. They could have done so much more with Mr. Bojangles, i was watching the stairs waiting for a tap dancer, and for her to dance with him or something along the lines of remotely noise from the feet, but no such luck. I noticed the mouth thing too.

Im not sure if I'm a Danielle fan, shes awesome at times, like this week hey mambo was fab. But all the rest of her performances impressed me initially but have been really boringly similar, John Partridge was spot on when he commented on that, I felt like applauding him.

Jenny is ridiculously nasal. She's getting better, but it's my biggest pet hate ever so I cringe a lot.

I normally love steph's voice, but I dont think it was all that great this week, her dancing was brilliant but the song suffered for it, so I was puzzled when one of the comments was on a spotless vocal. Plus shes doing a Diana Vickers-esque hand more and more.

Gah. Lauren. awesome singer, but I can't bring myself to like her at all.

Sophie got a poo song, I felt sorry for her. It looks like she's lost her bottle.

Jess is a babe. 'nuff said <3 haha. I know what you mean about the faces, pittising_poyns. She's big on facial expressions, but I wish theyd let her do something where that works to her advantage because so far she's had fairly serious songs and she's the most epic comedy actress I've ever witnessed.

Btw, out of curiousity, how far did everyone from the boards get now that we're obv free to talk about it?

In general, I'm fairly dissapointed in who's left, considering ALW said he was looking for someone so different and edgy etc, and the only two who are remotely quirky are Jess and Stephanie, one of which is gone now.

Recent: Ado Annie - Oklahoma!, Cecilia - Purple Rose of Cairo

Tue May 04, 2010 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]