The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Were all his post-"Phantom" shows flops??? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Were all his post-"Phantom" shows flops???
In the lead up to "Love Never Dies", a lot of words have been written about ALW's patchy track record in the years following "Phantom".

But how patchy has it been exactly?

Some articles I've read say that he never had a hit show after "Phantom".

Other articles say that some of those shows did actually make a profit, even though they never became global phenomenons on the scale of "Phantom".

So, can anyone please tell me...

Were "Aspects Of Love", "Sunset Boulevard", "Whistle Down The Wind", "The Beautiful Game" and "The Woman In White" flops or not????

Some sources say these shows were successful and some say they were not... which is it? Did these shows wind up making more money than it cost to make them???

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:28 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Probably the most 'successful' would be Sunset Boulevard, having snagged a handful of Tonys (albeit in a weak year) and running 977 performances on Broadway and 1529 in the West End. Due to the massive cost, it did not make money.

Aspects of Love had a decent run in London, with 1325 performances, but did less well across the pond, with only 377 performances on Broadway.

Whistle Down the Wind ran for 1044 performances in London, but did not make it to the Great White Way.

Woman in Whiteand The Beautiful Game came out with a bang, then went quickly with a wimper.

Considering his past success, none were worth writing home about. SB and AoL have some lovely music, and I think AoL could be reworked into a smaller production and do nicely, but the rest, well...meh.

I get the feeling ALW is looking less for a hit than creating whatever floats his boat. Whether or not it floats our boats is not his concern. He's got the money and the power to mount any stage production he wants. If the mood strikes, we might get 'Aspects of a Beautiful Whistling Superstar' next go-round.

-Cameron Mackintosh

Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think Sunset Bouelvard is worth writing home about. It's brilliant and captures the essence of that brilliant film perfectly.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I meant success-wise. I agree- SB is a lovely show, with some great music. I think AoL is a better show, but neither would be the top of ALW's resume. (comparing them to his earlier works)

-Cameron Mackintosh

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hmmm...I disagree...I think Sunset Boulevard is his best work if not his most popular.

-Family Guy's very sarcastic One Tree Hill bit

Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
In terms of monetary success, Phantom is the last ALW musical to actually recoup its investment.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Indeed, and that's because in Aspects of Love, Sunset Boulevard and Whistle Down the Wind, far too much money was spent, on the assumption that they would have success comparable to Phantom's - when really that was a once-in-a-lifetime level of success.

ALW's trouble is that Phantom redefined what counts as a "success" for him. AoL, SB and WDTW are all good shows that were well marketed and had box-office appeal. They would have made money had they not been staged on an unnecessarily lavish scale.

Beautiful Game was much more pared-down, and is much better than its detractors would have you believe. It was, however, more of a play with songs than a traditional ALW musical.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:03 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

[quote="jackrussell"]ALW's trouble is that Phantom redefined what counts as a "success" for him. AoL, SB and WDTW are all good shows that were well marketed and had box-office appeal. They would have made money had they not been staged on an unnecessarily lavish scale.

quote]
That's a good point. Can you imagine being creator of the top two longest-running Broadway shows? After those long-distance runners, the short racers look less impressive.

I agree-a lower budget would have improved the newer shows' chances.

-Cameron Mackintosh

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:38 am

Main Role: Performer
I meant success-wise. I agree- SB is a lovely show, with some great music. I think AoL is a better show, but neither would be the top of ALW's resume. (comparing them to his earlier works)

artistically both Aspects and Sunset are miles ahead of his other post-tim rice work.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think Sunset Bouelvard is worth writing home about. It's brilliant and captures the essence of that brilliant film perfectly.

How?

In my opinion it does exactly the opposite - it turns an exquisite and profound film about an important sociological phenomenon into a self centered, superficial vehicle for a diva with pipes.

Not exactly the same as capturing any essence in my book.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:50 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

ALW has had brilliant success as producer and I do recall hearing an interview where he called himself a "producer first" or something to that effect?

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sat May 01, 2010 3:00 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Yes it has, and the revival was superb! It was a minimalistic production at the Comedy Theatre in London, and it was amazing! I know that the show is not very good, but it is the best musical production I have ever seen! Everything from the choreography to the props where amazing and everything was in favor for the show!

Sat May 01, 2010 4:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]