The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
is jesus christ superstar/ joseph blasphemous? 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post is jesus christ superstar/ joseph blasphemous?
i want to tell one of my best friend's moms about these musicals but she is a super christian.

are these musicals blasphemous?

or do they portray joseph and jesus in a good light?

like are these musicals similar to the bible?

i havent listened to either soundtrack but ordered it via the mail and gonna get it in a week.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:07 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
1st thing: Just a fair warning, if you refer to them as soundtracks, some people might eat you. :) The correct term is technically "cast recording."
2nd: I wouldn't say they're blasphemous. If you were gonna tell her about any Christian themed musical, I'd go with Godspell, though. Joseph and JCS are both super extreme. Like, Judas(?) gets chased by tanks in JCS. 8O

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

JCS might be a problem one, or it might not. I'm no expert on it (I haven't seen it since the remake DVD was released), but here are some quotes from a discussion on the "Evita" forum involving it.

Quote:
The audience is supoosed to ask the question like "was Jesus the Son of God or not?" JCS is supposed to be thought-provoking and piss people off.

Quote:
A lot has been said to the tune of "JCS presents Jesus as having been just a man, no more." Actually, I think one could say the opposite as well. The beauty of the show is that no matter who you are or what your beliefs are, you'll be able to see both sides in the show, and come away feeling that you wouldn't have any objection to what you just saw. Nothing in it, other than the personal beliefs of individual characters, points one way or the other.

"Joseph" shouldn't be problematic, though. It's irreverent in a fun way (e.g. the Pharaoh as Elvis), but it generally follows the Bible story and shows Joseph in a perfectly good light. The only two problems with it might be A) it includes hardly any references to God; the message emphasized is more "believe in your dreams" than anything religious, and B) the scene where Potiphar's wife tries to seduce Joseph can get a little risque, depending on the production.

Last edited by Vanessa20 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I can vouch that one of my very religious friends likes Joseph. Although she's not too keen on the idea of Superstar, she doesn't consider it blasphemous.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Joseph is just harmless fun for children so I wouldn't worry about that one.

JCS isn't really blasphemous but it is certainly disrespectful. I mean that in a good way: it challenges attitudes to the accepted version of Christ's life and draws attention to some of its contradictory elements. For example, why are Judas and Pilate so reviled, for if they hadn't betrayed Jesus and crucified him, the resurrection (a key part of the faith) wouldn't have happened.

Also, the show removes almost every indication that Jesus was the Son of God. It shows that he and others believed he was, and doesn't do anything to contradict this, but doesn't support it either. Hence there are no miracles and no resurrection on stage - the audience is left to make up its own mind as to whether they really happened. Not blasphemous but not very pro-Christian either.

Also, the title deliberately draws the comparison between Christ and a 20th century rock "superstar", a comparison that is sustained throughout the show. This is not blasphemous per se except by implication - it implies that the religious fervour felt by Christians is nothing more than the hysteria of screaming fans at a Beatles concert.

Finally, there's the whole irreverant attitude, as shown by the 1970s slang constantly used in the lyrics, which suggests that Tim Rice does not feel the need to treat the subject of Christ's life with all that much respect.

So it's not directly blasphemous but it does challenge people's ideas of Christianity. To my mind, that's why it's a great show. But to committed Christians, I can see why it could be offensive.

(Although it's nothing compared to Jerry Springer the Opera.)

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

One of the main problems with JCS is that it contains a crucifixion, but no resurrection, which is a bit problematic for us Christians, since the resurrection is the basis of our beliefs. However, there's some good stuff in there and I like JCS for what it is.

I much prefer Godspell though...and Joseph is a hoot and originally written to be a gradeschool musical. It shouldn't offend anyone.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:05 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

One of the main problems with JCS is that it contains a crucifixion, but no resurrection, which is a bit problematic for us Christians, since the resurrection is the basis of our beliefs.

With all due respect, I think the absence of the resurrection is what makes JCS so great. Not showing it does not mean it doesn't mean it doesn't take place. Rather it leaves the ending open for interpretation.

jackrussell wrote:
It challenges attitudes to the accepted version of Christ's life and draws attention to some of its contradictory elements.

IMO, that's the opposite of disrepectful.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:11 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

jackrussell wrote:
It challenges attitudes to the accepted version of Christ's life and draws attention to some of its contradictory elements.

Mine too, but not in the opinion of Billy Graham and many Christians of a similar persuasion...

Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:47 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
JCS is what it is, one of the good shows that ALW has written. You can't change the show. The show is not blasphemous or disrespectful. It is our own job to make sure we don't get offended by things like JCS. I you get offended by that, you need to experience some serious problems.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Robinflamingo wrote:
One of the main problems with JCS is that it contains a crucifixion, but no resurrection, which is a bit problematic for us Christians, since the resurrection is the basis of our beliefs.

With all due respect, I think the absence of the resurrection is what makes JCS so great. Not showing it does not mean it doesn't mean it doesn't take place. Rather it leaves the ending open for interpretation.

jackrussell wrote:

I was just saying what was usually problematic with the show (especially for evangelicals and pentecostals) because I've had that experience. I ALMOST wasn't allowed to direct Godspell at my school because it didn't have something CLEARLY marked "RESURRECTION".

You can disagree, but I was trying to answer his question about the point of view of a "super Christian."

Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 am

I have a somewhat sensitive friend who objects to Joseph on the grounds that it contains no references to God...

But the thing I don't get about Godspell is that, well... the composer is Jewish, so it's dubious whether he really believes in the subject matter...

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

You can disagree, but I was trying to answer his question about the point of view of a "super Christian."

I think ther's a difference between that something can " objectively" be labeled blasphemous and that something "subjectively" can offen someone.

I can see that people can be offended by JCS, but not that it actually is blasphemous.

Calling Joseph blasphemous is just incredibly silly.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next