The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Which ALW musical introduced you to ALW? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Which ALW musical introduced you to ALW?
Dear Andrew Lloyd Webber Fans,

Which ALW musical introduced you to ALW?

When I was very young (about 7 or 8), I was reading T.S. Elliott's Book of Practical Cats, and, around that time, I also listened to the "CATS" soundtrack. I saw "CATS" live three times in a row (?) (1987, 1988, and 1989?), and I would sing "Memory" over and over. I made my grandmother some CATS-related treats, using marshmallows, licorice whips (for the whiskers, etc.). I made myself a "CATS" mask, which I decorated with white kleenex, etc. LOL! My favorite "CATS" name was Jellylorum, and my favorite "CATS" cats were the sleek, white cat, and (?) the cat who played Growltiger's sweetheart.

Our elementary school had an event called "Poem in My Pocket", and I recited T.S. Elliott's The Naming of Cats, and the principal allowed me to recite the poem over the school intercom.

I was indeed a major, colossal "CATS" fan back in the day...LOL!
8)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:45 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
I think, probably, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat...

I saw the movie with Donny Osmond, and saw a stage version of it in fifth grade.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

"The Phantom of the Opera." I was eight and tried so hard to sing like Christine. Yeah, it wasn't pretty. :)

Success should be a byproduct of being an actor... because attention and fame will not fulfill a person.
~Sutton Foster

Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:27 am

We watched Cats in my fourth grade music class. It wasn't the first musical (Mary Martin in Peter Pan on VHS was) I had seen, but I was still in awe.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Performer
Totally dating myself, but it was Jesus Christ Superstar which came out when I was in seventh grade. We listened to it in music class.

Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:16 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

How very fortunate you were to be led into CATS some time after getting to knoe the original Old Possum poems. I too was introduced to the ALW musicals through this enjoyable show, which I saw for the first time back in 1993. I admit it took some time to grow on me, but I still ended up liking it. POTO was staged in 1995, and I also got to know Joseph's Dreamcoat through an abridged version my school was staging.
Now, even though I acknowledge the ALW musicals as serving my childhood with a soundtrack of those years, I've found that my love for CATS is more enduring than my love for any of his other works. Pherhaps it's that quaintness in it, and perhaps it's the way it taps into my innermost feelings of longing and sense of community.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I discovered Joseph and Phantom within a month or two of each other, and I can't recall which one came first.

Phantom, actually, is an interesting story... An aunt from Rhode Island was visiting my house and for some reason had her Phantom of the Opera cast recording with her and accidentally left it there. We found out and offered to ship it back to her, but she said she didn't really like it all that much and we could keep it. So I started listening to it and discovered I *loved* it.

My dad introduced me to Joseph. He's a moderate fan of musical theater and was in the show in high school, and so he got the cast recording and I started listening to it all the time.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

^Wait, so if you were in the show, then your H.S. introduced it to you.

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The CATS film was on the tv in 99, so that's the first musical I saw that I liked. I saw the tent tour in 2000 when I was ten.

The next Webber show I heard was mum's record of the 73 Superstar soundtrack.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:22 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
The first I saw was Joseph in London with Philip Schofield. :P

But I didn't really become an -obsessive- fan until I heard Phantom of the Opera about 8 years ago. I got the cd for Christmas and then saw it in London for my next birthday. And for that birthday I also got the Cats "movie". So... both of those really.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

It wasn't really any one musical, but Sarah Brightman. I was getting so obsessed with her, I wanted to go into her back catalogue, and she has many collaboration albums with ALW, and I found him that way. The first musical I went to see was 'The Phantom of the Opera' for my 18th birthday (Apr, 2003) and I really enjoyed it. I now go back to the West End frequently.

My favourite ALW album of all time was one that he did with Sarah Brightman called The Unexpected Songs: Surrender' where she sings some underknown classics from ALW's musicals.

They worked on it together, and everything was recorded from scratch for the album. Stunning.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:01 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

J/k, j/k

Hmmmmm for me it's kind of funny. when i was little and saw the videos of Cats and Joseph I was like "oh i like these". Then when I was older and discoved Phantom i thought "oh I like this too".....Then I realized they were all written by the same person :)

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next