The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
ALW shows the ST revival way? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: On Minimalism (in ALW shows)
RainbowJude wrote:
Reduction in itself is not a suitable methodology for proving a score's musical worth and cannot prove whether a score is good or not.

MAybe I've changed my mind.

But I do think it's interesting to hear musical theatre songs in reduced orchestrations, since it puts them in a different light. Sometimes they sond bad, but that can also be interresting.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sun May 16, 2010 1:00 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Phantom would be great with a much barer stage. An empty darkness is much more mood setting than fake candles and a smoke machine.

I suppose the question still is; what counts as spectacle? I would never consider lighting a choreography to be spectacle. Really, choreography can be just as important for defining character as the music and lyrics.

Cats doesn't have a lot of spectacle out side the set to begin with. The original had much simpler costumes. Apart from that, there isn't a great deal more to it.

Sun May 16, 2010 1:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Well, there has been an actor-musician production of Sunset Boulevard, and I think Jesus Christ Superstar could be played this way also, but they would have to make cuts in the cast, and have few females to make the engines tick.

Aspects of Love might also work with an actor-musician concept, although I don't know it well enough to be certain.

Sun May 16, 2010 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2