The Resource For Musicals

All ALW, All the Time Forum

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
ALW shows the ST revival way? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post ALW shows the ST revival way?
What do you think of the idea of doing ALW shows the same way as the new revival of Sweeney Todd is done? Cut to the bone with minimalistic sets and orchestrations? From what I've heard, the new ST orchestrations send chills down one's spine in all their economic (as opposed to "cheap") simplicity. They are really brilliant.

Wouldn't it be interresting to see if ALW shows could benefit from the same sort of concept? It could silence everybody who argues ALW shows are based on empty spectacle and overblown arrangements.

I think Evita and JCS could handle it. It would be very interresting whether StEx, Cats and POTO could.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:38 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It would not work with Joseph..., Cats, and POTO. The spectacle is a large part of the success of those shows.

I think it could easily work with Sunset Boulevard, and perhaps Evita.

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:41 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
It was already somewhat done with JCS, if you get the concert video of "JCS: A Resurrection," starring the Indigo Girls.

Mon May 15, 2006 6:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There's a video for that? I must try to get it.

Wait... on second thought... no.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Tue May 23, 2006 7:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It would not work with Joseph..., Cats, and POTO. The spectacle is a large part of the success of those shows.

Wouldn't you initially think that about Sweeney Todd. too? The point is to prove whether the shows are strong enough in themselves, so that they work without the help of spectacle.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue May 30, 2006 4:03 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Maybe. I'm not familiar with Sweeney Todd, though I'm going to remedy that one of these days.

Tue May 30, 2006 7:06 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Besides, Joseph... is exactly an example of a musical that is strong enough, actually it benefits from the lack of spectacle.

I've seen a (design wise) very sober version of it, and it was amazing compared to for example the hideous DVD version.

Not overcrowding the show with glitter, glam and special effects in fact allows the witty score and lyrics to shine for themselves without drowning in the production design.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Tue May 30, 2006 7:42 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: ALW shows the ST revival way?
Dvarg wrote:
What do you think of the idea of doing ALW shows the same way as the new revival of Sweeney Todd is done? Cut to the bone with minimalistic sets and orchestrations? From what I've heard, the new ST orchestrations send chills down one's spine in all their economic (as opposed to "cheap") simplicity. They are really brilliant.

Wouldn't it be interresting to see if ALW shows could benefit from the same sort of concept? It could silence everybody who argues ALW shows are based on empty spectacle and overblown arrangements.

I think Evita and JCS could handle it. It would be very interresting whether StEx, Cats and POTO could.

I agree that Evita and JCS could be done with minimal sets because I don't think the spectacle is important for them to work. Even PotO is sort of Sweeney Todd like so I think it would work even when removing the spectacle but I believe the Phantom would still need the costume and mask. If I recall correctly, it was in the early 1990s that Joseph was made into a full spectacle production so to minimize it would probably be just going back to its original form.

But CATS and StEx rely on spectacle. It depends on what you mean by minimal. CATS is a dance show so would that be taken out? Would the costumes be minimal with the actors only wearing cats ears and just different colored clothes? Without the CATS spectcle, the show might resemble more a T. S. Eliot poetry reading put to music which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The actors in StEx play engines and railcars on rollerskates. Would they skate? Would the ramps be removed?

But even full productions of Sondheim don't seem to be much in the way of spectacle that I recall. The video I saw of Sweeney Todd wasn't all that elaborate.

Tue May 30, 2006 2:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pounce wrote:
It depends on what you mean by minimal.

You have been aware the whole time that the point is I don't think many ALW shows work without the spectacle, haven't you? I think the John Doyle way of staging musicals is sort of a test of how strong the material is.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dvarg wrote:
Pounce wrote:
It depends on what you mean by minimal.

You have been aware the whole time that the point is I don't think many ALW shows work without the spectacle, haven't you? I think the John Doyle way of staging musicals is sort of a test of how strong the material is.

Well, then why did you say

Dvarg wrote:

Or was that sarcasm?

But still, it is interesting to question what it means to produce a show in a minimalistic way. I think it is unfair to remove a show's strengths and hold up what remains as proof of its weakness. Why not suggest that Sondheims lyrics be removed from a show and see if it holds up relying on the music and pantomime?

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Pounce wrote:
Or was that sarcasm?

Not really. It would silence my complains about ALW shows, for example.

Pounce wrote:
Why not suggest that Sondheims lyrics be removed from a show and see if it holds up relying on the music and pantomime?

Because the music, the lyrics and the book in essence is what makes the musical. Everything else is subdued those core elements.

Formerly known as Dvarg

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:54 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post On Minimalism (in ALW shows)
Hans wrote:
What do you think of the idea of doing ALW shows... cut to the bone with minimalistic sets and orchestrations? ... Wouldn't it be interesting to see if Andrew Lloyd Webber shows could benefit from the same sort of concept? It could silence everybody who argues (that) Lloyd Webber shows are based on empty spectacle and overblown arrangements.

I think it could be done, but I don't like the idea of minimalism for the sake of minimalism. If the only justification for the concept is to prove that the show can stand on its own without the spectacle, something that can in any case be examined through textual analysis, then I don't think there's anything of substance holding the concept together and that can be just as damaging to a show as padding it with empty spectacle.

I also think that stripping down arrangements doesn't necessarily reveal the quality of music. Sometimes it can be a score's undoing. Compare the reduced arrangements of songs for, say, the original off-Broadway Putting It Together with the original orchestrations. They are reduced, but do they reveal new and exciting truths about the music itself? No, they are merely an annoying compromise made for the sake of cost. Reduction in itself is not a suitable methodology for proving a score's musical worth and cannot prove whether a score is good or not.

Sun May 16, 2010 12:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next